Thread: New Savage 11VT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    expfcwintergreen
    762X51, have you taken the .223 VT to the range to try it out? The man who started this thread had some impressive groups with his the first time out, even with a 14-17 mph wind.

762X51
    Quote Originally Posted by expfcwintergreen View Post
    762X51, have you taken the .223 VT to the range to try it out? The man who started this thread had some impressive groups with his the first time out, even with a 14-17 mph wind.
    No I haven't taken it to the range and those groups he posted are the reason I bought the rifle! It may indeed be incredibly accurate but if it won't feed all the rounds from the magazine I don't care how accurate it is. Is it too much to ask that a rifle be accurate AND work properly? Feeding and/or extraction problems seem to plague Savage rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by 762X51 View Post
    No I haven't taken it to the range and those groups he posted are the reason I bought the rifle! It may indeed be incredibly accurate but if it won't feed all the rounds from the magazine I don't care how accurate it is. Is it too much to ask that a rifle be accurate AND work properly? Feeding and/or extraction problems seem to plague Savage rifles.
    No excuses for the way you got the rifle or your past experiences...but are you going to return the rifle to Dicks or send it back to Savage?

762X51
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    No excuses for the way you got the rifle or your past experiences...but are you going to return the rifle to Dicks or send it back to Savage?
    Neither. I swapped the magazine from my 223 Axis and the one from the model 11 and it now functions properly. The Axis will feed flawlessly from either mag but the model 11 only likes one. Apparently the small manufacturing tolerances that vary from part to part are enough to keep one magazine from working in the model 11. I hate to think that a variance of just a few thousandths is all it takes to keep the mag from working and I hope the functioning magazine continues to work. Also for what it's worth I took the bottom metal from my model 10 Precision Carbine and it will replace the plastic bottom "metal" on the model 11 and allow you to use the detachable magazines with the metal base and metal front catch. Depending on how the rifle performs I may order the real bottom metal and mag.

expfcwintergreen
    762x51,

How many cartridges does the magazine hold? If four, just consider it a three shot magazine with one in the chamber. If you are a target shooter, it is better to shoot slow anyway to let the barrel cool down. If you are a hunter, your first shot will almost always be your best and hopefully it won't take more than two. If you are hunting dangerous animals, a bolt action .223 or .308 probably isn't a good choice anyway.

I'm just a target shooter, so I would be fine if it were a single shot as long as it is accurate.

i hope you find a solution that will let you be happy with your gun.