Thread: What to do, what to do???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Savage
    My three reasons to buy all the 225 win bras I run across in order of my choice 257 JDJ 20" 12.5" , 6.5 JDJ 20" 226 JDJ 14", I want a 20" 226 JDJ but have decided to see if I run in to one already made,

Bobby much like the accuracy of the 25-35 I got from you the 257 JDJ shoots like a laser as well, Mondays 5 shot group 1" at 300 yards, This Monday it was a perfect day just warm enough to need only a sweat shirt and a hint of a directly down range breeze that would die for 10 minutes at a time and the 20" 257 of old SSK barrel made my day

I am considering another 225 win I have 2 of them also, A 1-12 and a 1-10 thinking a 1-8 is needed

I have been on the lookout for a used fast twist 257 jdj. I have a healthy supply of 225 brass.

Also a 257 TCU is on my want list

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjshell View Post
    I have been on the lookout for a used fast twist 257 jdj. I have a healthy supply of 225 brass.

Also a 257 TCU is on my want list
    I wish that too, I would be good at 1-9 or 1-8 but NO, I can get 1-7 or 1-7.5 thinking the 1-7.5
    I sold my 257 TCU thinking it would not matter the other 25s will do.... wrong I did have a soft spot for it the only reason I dont have one made the case is not rimmed

I am supposed to be down sizing

Or maybe a 256 super max

Team Savage
    that one is in the works already

Basic Member
    A second on Sunny's .257 TCU [aka 25 Ugalde], it's my favorite TCU.

Bobby I think we hijacked your post. Go for the 257 jdj

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjshell View Post
    Or maybe a 256 super max
    i have a .256max in a 21" taper; that one was done by MGM some years ago. Mine is a 1-10" twist, so should stabilize most .257 bullet weights, but it has a definite preference for lightweights...been shooting mostly 75gr V-max, and Sierra 70gr blitzkings. I need to try to force it to like Speer 87's, i try to keep those on hand to feed a 25-45sharps carbine, but so far that has not happened & the barrel says it wants lightweights.

Back some years ago, have owned 2 different pistol tubes in 257TCU, and 1 carbine, but i never did much with the pistol barrels, and the carbine was a heavy bull profile so i never did quite warm up to it. Once i got the 25-45sharps barrel , it mostly filled my itch for .25's on the .223case.

Bobby...since SSK has changed hands, the barrels i've ordered have arrived in the promised time, and no issues with barrel quality so far. But, if you have specific throating or chambering requirements, i havent had a warm fuzzy feeling about their communications...had several projects i wanted to do, but never could get any response, and i grew got tired of relaying info to whomever was answering emails, as she could not get much info from the guys in production. The lady answering emails was quite nice & courteous & also friendly on the phone, but in the end she was NOT the one building barrels, so i decided not to take a chance on wasting money on barrels i could not get built to my specs. If i do go forward with any of those, probably wont be with SSK. For factory "as-issued, take-em-as-they-come" stuff, they do seem to make a good product, but i wasnt wanting "as-issued" stuff.

Basic Member
    Bobby...have you ordered from Van Horn recently? What are his production time frames usually?

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by FyrepowrX View Post
    Bobby...have you ordered from Van Horn recently? What are his production time frames usually?
    His production times were short (a month or less if memory serves), but I have not ordered from him since I got the 30-30 and .300 Savage a few years ago. I plan on checking in to that and see if he's still open or maybe has retired by now. I do know that someone was selling off his "in inventory" barrels on ebay last year, but it was a third party and not Dave himself.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnysmarine View Post
    My three reasons to buy all the 225 win bras I run across in order of my choice 257 JDJ 20" 12.5" , 6.5 JDJ 20" 226 JDJ 14", I want a 20" 226 JDJ but have decided to see if I run in to one already made,

Bobby much like the accuracy of the 25-35 I got from you the 257 JDJ shoots like a laser as well, Mondays 5 shot group 1" at 300 yards, This Monday it was a perfect day just warm enough to need only a sweat shirt and a hint of a directly down range breeze that would die for 10 minutes at a time and the 20" 257 of old SSK barrel made my day

I am considering another 225 win I have 2 of them also, A 1-12 and a 1-10 thinking a 1-8 is needed
    Sunny I'm glad to see that 20" 257 JDJ doing well for you and getting some time at the range instead of just in my safe.

Team Savage
    Bruce, I had almost sold it a time or two wanting a stainless barrel instead, Timing and no way am I paying that much for a barrel kept this one in the corral, Then after shooting it (I still want stainless) I will be keeping it just in case I ever get a blue G2 frame