Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Hodgdon web site.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Hodgdon web site.
    My eyes are opened! That is an excellent source! Thank you

Basic Member
    For some reason all the powder mfgs offer free load data. Some of the bullet mfg require a fee for it. But, it is worth it to look at their sites as well.

Team Savage
    For Rifle H4350 and Varget
    Bullseye (although dirty) is an all around SHTF powder for pistol and shotgun.

SJC

Basic Member
    There are a lot of good multi use powders out there, HODGON, tho I prefer their powders VARGET, H4895, I have also found Some of the ACCURATE to be good alternatives, like A2495, A2460, A2520, TAC, they may not be as temp stable as the H-powders, but most people don't need that or will use these types of powders under conditions or distances to notice any difference, if it gives you the accuracy you need at the ranges you shoot that's all you need, these powders are good from 223rem to the 3006 and probably more, The accurate powders costs a lot less than the H powders or Alliant powders, Alliant powders have skyrocketed in price, $460 for a 8# of RL16, AR Comp! These prices of powder have forced me to look for alternatives, Like, replacing RL16 at $460+ to 6.5Staball at $ 300 for an 8# I've also found A2495 at $325 for 8# is a decent replacement for H4895 at $400+ if you can find it? JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Tmar View Post
    My eyes are opened! That is an excellent source! Thank you
    The info is in a couple pdf files on Hodgdons web site.

H4895 "This works only where H4895 is listed. DO NOT use in a cartridge where H4895 is not shown."
    My primary use for H4895 is with 240gr Campro Plated bullets @ 1975-2000fps in the 444Marlin's. Great round for some regular trigger time gong ringing.
    https://hodgdonpowderco.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/h4895-reduced-rifle-loads-2.pdf

TrailBoss. For reduced loads, I get better results using TrailBoss in the 45-70Gov. I had positional accuracy problems with the low case fill reduced loads in the 45-70Gov using H4895.
    https://hodgdonpowderco.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/trail-boss-reduced-loads-2018-2.pdf

Sure would be nice to find either powder on the shelf at the Local Gun Store.

Basic Member
    If you need to download there are numerous other powders that work. Some are better than others, but, the IMR and Hodgdon stick powders will almost all work at reduced levels.

Basic Member
    I really like the way the Hogdon site is set up. I had no idea that there were so many powders that worked well for a variety of cartridges. Before studying that site, I was limited to the 4 different manuals that I had accumulated. Some of them don’t even list H4895. I guess they are mostly directed to the powders popular at the time of the tests. As of right now, I am only loading for deer hunting type cartridges for the woods where 100+ yard shots are rare. (30-06, 308, 30-30, 35 rem, 7.62x39, 350 legend, 270 and 223) Long range accuracy isn’t in my wheelhouse YET. Just learning at my ripe age of 59. I appreciate all the info on this site.

Basic Member
    Don't forget the other powder mfgs/distributors. Alliant, Vihtivouri, etc.

And, yes, for 'normal' shooting there are probably 10 powders that will work in any given cartridge. And most powders will work in a variety of cartridges. The combination might not be the most efficient or accurate, but, for most situations they work.

Some powders seem to hit a sweet spot. 2400 is almost a universal pistol powder that can also be used in a lot of lower pressure rifle loads. OTOH powders like H110/W296 are 'one trick ponies' that only do well in a specific application, eg, heavy magnum pistol loads.

Just so its been said, be very careful downloading below any powder manufacturers published minimums. All kinds of crazy anomolys can cause pressure spikes. These include bullets that start then lodge in the lands
    and then the powder fully ignites behind them causing overpressure. Powder inside the case burning with more surface area top to bottom instead of in a column rear to front causing over pressure. Bullets lodging in the lands causing obstructions, hang fires where the primer is struck then 1,2,3 KABOOM whenever it gets ready to , And other crazy conditions that may not be readily forseeable, anticipated or even make sense to by the average reloader.
    Published minimums arent just lawyer speak but are most often based on actual science and known hazards.
    Stay safe
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.