Thread: Got my new 110 Hunter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Good hunting rifle precision ( group size ) IMO. Looks a lot like groups out of my .223 Storm. I actually pay more attention to accuracy ( POA vs. POI ). Predator won`t care about my group size but sure will if I`m on target!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkeytider View Post
    Good hunting rifle precision ( group size ) IMO. Looks a lot like groups out of my .223 Storm. I actually pay more attention to accuracy ( POA vs. POI ). Predator won`t care about my group size but sure will if I`m on target!
    I agree, but for a bit different reason. I’ve always been a rifle shooter, but my speciality for years was defensive pistol training & instruction. I taught this to people as an Instructor. In rifle competition, the obbjective is the smallest group possible. Essentially a 1-HOLE Group, with every subsequent shot passing through the original is the Holy Grail! Of course this is almost never seen, but it remains the goal. Where as in a defensive pistol use, this would not be advantageous & instead could very well cost a person their life. More Holes in the intended target being the better outcome.

Just an interesting bit of training difference mentality to me.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I agree, but for a bit different reason. I’ve always been a rifle shooter, but my speciality for years was defensive pistol training & instruction. I taught this to people as an Instructor. In rifle competition, the obbjective is the smallest group possible. Essentially a 1-HOLE Group, with every subsequent shot passing through the original is the Holy Grail! Of course this is almost never seen, but it remains the goal. Where as in a defensive pistol use, this would not be advantageous & instead could very well cost a person their life. More Holes in the intended target being the better outcome.

Just an interesting bit of training difference mentality to me.
    Don`t get me wrong, Dave, I enjoy a tight group as well. Since it`s a hunting rifle, I just approached it from the perspective that a coyote, pig, whatever, will be singularly unimpressed with a .3 MOA group hitting 6" from my POA! I know, I know. That`s what scope turrets are for!

Basic Member
    Don`t get me wrong, Dave, I enjoy a tight group as well. Since it`s a hunting rifle, I just approached it from the perspective that a coyote, pig, whatever, will be singularly unimpressed with a .3 MOA group hitting 6" from my POA! I know, I know. That`s what scope turrets are for!
    Great attitude. It's nice to have small consistent small groups, breeds confidence. But then so does knowing where the rifle shoots on the first shot, since that's the one that really matters on a hunting rifle right.
    It's great to shoot little groups at a few hundred yards from the bench. It's another thing entirely to jump a buck and get off one shot in under five seconds or shoot a coyote that hangs up at 150 yards.

Banned
    Absolutely!

Basic Member
    Once I settle on a load, I will focuse on the zeroing. Right now just working on building a couple accurate loads.
    Failure is not an option

Quote Originally Posted by Hylander View Post
    Once I settle on a load, I will focuse on the zeroing. Right now just working on building a couple accurate loads.
    Good plan.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67