Thread: Reloading 6.5 Creedmoor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    When I start with a mfg load data I normally start 1gn or maybe 2gn lower than max. Load a ladder in 0.1 or 0.2gn increments up to max (or sticky extraction). These are at least 3 round groups. Once I see a node I do 5 round groups around the node to verify vel and accuracy.

I have found if I do this I use up the least amount of resources to find an accurate load.

Sometimes I also do a seating depth series. 0.005, 0.010, 0.020 from lands. 5 rounds each.

If I do want to test a jammed depth (eg, using Berger vld bullets) I will do the ladder with jammed rounds. Sometimes there is a significant difference.

I really don't care where the mfg minimum is as I never load there with jacketed ammo. I also don't really care what vel I am at as long as I am on a node. I do check to make sure I am not too far above the mfg max vel (adjusted for barrel length) for that powder/bullet. Yes, I measure vel of almost every bullet I shoot.

Basic Member
    ^^^ excellent advice ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by GrenGuy View Post
    Ernest T, look at the trouble it took to get Your RL16. With a 6.5 Creedmoor, 140grn bullet, I would not waist 1 kernel of powder on any load less than 2,600 FPS. The Berger Bullet is a prime example. It is designed for long range target and hunting. So it starts at a minimum load, that provides a velocity suitable for the designed range. Anything below that is useless information. You are testing 4 bullets. What is the end goal for each of these bullets ? It is of no value to find a tight node on the low end, only to find it does not provide enough velocity at range. The further out we go, the more velocity we need at the beginning to overcome the WIND. This is why You have been asked, What is You end goal ?

The end goal is to see if one of these bullets are more accurate out to 1200 yards than the Hornady ELD-M I've been using. I'm also learning a lot in the process, which I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    When I start with a mfg load data I normally start 1gn or maybe 2gn lower than max. Load a ladder in 0.1 or 0.2gn increments up to max (or sticky extraction). These are at least 3 round groups. Once I see a node I do 5 round groups around the node to verify vel and accuracy.

I have found if I do this I use up the least amount of resources to find an accurate load.

Sometimes I also do a seating depth series. 0.005, 0.010, 0.020 from lands. 5 rounds each.

If I do want to test a jammed depth (eg, using Berger vld bullets) I will do the ladder with jammed rounds. Sometimes there is a significant difference.

I really don't care where the mfg minimum is as I never load there with jacketed ammo. I also don't really care what vel I am at as long as I am on a node. I do check to make sure I am not too far above the mfg max vel (adjusted for barrel length) for that powder/bullet. Yes, I measure vel of almost every bullet I shoot.
    Alrighty then, I'll start higher up on the list. I'm going to start with the Barnes Match Burner. Barnes's data was obtained with a 24" barrel and my rifle has a 22" barrel so I'll need a little more powder to obtain 2600 FPS -- that looks like a starting load of 41.9 Gr. of powder. The distance from cartridge base to the lands with this bullet is 2.300" which puts the COAL at 2.910. I'm thinking of using the procedure below, which is from the Berger website.

"Trying to find the CBTO that puts you in the sweet spot by moving .002 to .010 will take so long the barrel may be worn out by the time you sort it out if you don’t give up first. Since the sweet spot is .030 to .040 wide we recommend that you conduct the following test to find your rifles VLD sweet spot.
    Load 24 rounds at the following CBTO if you are a target competition shooter who does not worry about jamming a bullet:

1. .010 into (touching) the lands (jam) 6 rounds
    2. .040 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
    3. .080 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
    4. .120 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds

Shoot 2 (separate) 3 shot groups in fair conditions to see how they group. The remarkable reality of this test is that one of these 4 CBTOs will outperform the other three by a considerable margin. Once you know which one of these 4 CBTO shoots best then you can tweak the CBTO +/- .002 or .005. Taking the time to set this test up will pay off when you find that your rifle is capable of shooting the VLD bullets very well (even at 100 yards)."

Another question.

I also remeasured the Hornady ELD-M case from base to lands and got .008 longer than when I initially measured the distance. I've got 800 rounds through the barrel now, does the distance increase with throat erosion?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
    Another question.

I also remeasured the Hornady ELD-M case from base to lands and got .008 longer than when I initially measured the distance. I've got 800 rounds through the barrel now, does the distance increase with throat erosion?
    YES...800 rounds could easily equal.008” throat erosion.

Quote Originally Posted by GrenGuy View Post
    YES...800 rounds could easily equal.008” throat erosion.
    Thanks, that's what I was hoping.

Basic Member
    Not sure in all calibers, but, the Hornady ELD bullets I have fired in my .308 (155 and 173) and .223 (75gn) all liked a decent jump. Kinda like Sierra SMK's that I have found like somewhere around .020 jump. Berger 155's in the .308 liked to be jammed or very close to the lands.

I do not rely on a gauge measurement of CBTO. I chamber dummy rounds seating out the bullet in a 'loose neck' case. I then set my seating die by reference off of this dummy round.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Not sure in all calibers, but, the Hornady ELD bullets I have fired in my .308 (155 and 173) and .223 (75gn) all liked a decent jump. Kinda like Sierra SMK's that I have found like somewhere around .020 jump. Berger 155's in the .308 liked to be jammed or very close to the lands.

I do not rely on a gauge measurement of CBTO. I chamber dummy rounds seating out the bullet in a 'loose neck' case. I then set my seating die by reference off of this dummy round.
    They like a jump in my gun too.

How do you keep the dummy round in the correct position when you pull the case out of the chamber? When I use the gauge, even slight pressure on the bullet sticks it in the lands and I have to push it out with a 1/8" dowel or bang the butt of the gun on the work bench to dislodge the bullet.