Thread: .360 Buckhammer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    Only that it will comply with the odd "straight cartridge" requirememnts of some states. You can't use a .30-30 or .243 Win but you can a .405 Win or .458 Win? Obviously politicians are not hunters or shooters.
    Some of the straight wall states have a maximum case length of 1.8" which the. 405 and .458WM do not meet. I do find it odd that manufacturers are trying to market to 4-5 states' laws and hoping enough of the other states' hunters and shooters hop on with a new shiny toy.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Anschutz View Post
    I do find it odd that manufacturers are trying to market to 4-5 states' laws and hoping enough of the other states' hunters and shooters hop on with a new shiny toy.

Many of these states are some of the best trophy whitetail hunting in the country (not saying there are not good deer in other areas) and have a pretty high number of hunters per sq. mile average so sales would generate pretty quickly. Especially when you figure that most of these states have been shotgun slug only states up until the last 10-15 years or so. For these guys switching over to any kind of rifle was like opening up pandora's box (in relation to hunting things other than paper or varmints). And factor in the human desire to go out in the woods with something "better" than your buddy has that many people are afflicted with and you get a pretty concentrated potential buying market. Y'all in the rest of the world have been able to attend that party for decades and we just finally got the invite, even if we have to go with a straightwall chaperone. LOL
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Boots,
    Having spent my first 22 years in Iowa I commend you on a great perspective on how Iowegions hunt and think. I have two brothers that still live and hunt deer in Iowa. They switched to the 350 legend as soon as it came out.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Anschutz View Post
    Some of the straight wall states have a maximum case length of 1.8" which the. 405 and .458WM do not meet. I do find it odd that manufacturers are trying to market to 4-5 states' laws and hoping enough of the other states' hunters and shooters hop on with a new shiny toy.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    You're correct, of course. In 1980 & later in NY I hunted for woodchuck with a .270 Win loaded with a 110 gr bullet in the same farms/fields I was restricted to shotgun slug only that had a region wide rifle prohabition during deer season. Go figure. I could hunt red squirrels year-round (except the four week regular deer season) with a .338 Lapua if I chose to . . . but not use a rifle of any size for whitetail deer. Happily my region opened to rifle a few years back. Thank God.

We cannot expect sensible game laws from legislators who have never hunted, or even been off pavement.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik