Thread: ?? Boyds pro varm. - no pillar/bedding (thoughts) ??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    I wouldn't use emery cloth or ANY cloth of any kind. And no tape of any kind. Nothing soft. The contact between Stock & Action surfaces must be solid. Anything malleable(cloth or tape), is a recipe for massive creep! If anything, I would sand under the tang to give it just a little float. Or, honestly... if you are in a rush to shoot it...just leave it until you bed the whole thing. With no bedding, it's not going to be night & day difference with a floated/not floated tang. But again.. DO NOT use a soft material like cloth, tape, etc, under the lugs. Can't use solid shims either obviously. MUST be bedding compound or just leave it. There really is no "get me by" here man. Either bed it properly, or leave it alone to shoot.

For the hard component fitting sure, you can use a Dremel....as long as YOU CAN USE a Dremel. Know what I mean? For the bolt handle U notch, I'd say try sand paper first. I can't imagine it needing much material removed. Just remember... you can take it off, but y can't put it back!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    ...you can use a Dremel....as long as YOU CAN USE a Dremel....
    I have lost count of the number of parts I have ruined with a Dremel. It doesn't take off enough material...then it takes off too much!

Basic Member
    In the second picture everything looks to fit better? Are you able to get the action screws in and does it slide fore and aft?
    I used a Dremel and a small sanding drum to open up the inletting on the bottom metal and trigger guard. Also used a large handled screw driver wrapped in 120grit sandpaper to open up under the rear tang. I sanded up to the bolt handle cutout. Just go slow and try refitting often.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I have lost count of the number of parts I have ruined with a Dremel. It doesn't take off enough material...then it takes off too much!
    Indeed!