Thread: Savage .223 1:7 rifling problems

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    Very interesting and I have also never seen that.
    My only concern is, why was the barrel removed and put on ebay? Makes me wonder if it was replaced because of poor accuracy.
    The only thing I can think is not very good things when the bullet is going straight and picking up speed before suddenly slamming into the part of the rifling where it starts to turn. As opposed to a normal barrel where they start to spin as soon as it starts touching the rifling.
    I am a little worried about possible damage to the jacket when it suddenly starts to spin.
    Or I might be wrong and it shoot great. I am very interested in the results.

I think you are all wrong. This is nothing more than the same effect of freebore. Doesn't make much difference, the barrel is junk.
    FYI... I've seen Savage button rifle barrels with my own eyes, the button turns.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    I think you are all wrong. This is nothing more than the same effect of freebore. Doesn't make much difference, the barrel is junk.
    FYI... I've seen Savage button rifle barrels with my own eyes, the button turns.
    So what do you think caused the straight section of rifling?

Basic Member
    I'd be willing to bet that this particular barrel came from a vendor Savage was giving a try, but ultimately declined to do business with on a continuing basis. Perhaps it was during a spike in demand a few years back that caused them to consider a second or third vendor. If that's the case, it's doubtful they would be willing to share that information.

I think the choices are limited to set it back 2 inches or turn it into a tomato stake.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that this particular barrel came from a vendor Savage was giving a try, but ultimately declined to do business with on a continuing basis. Perhaps it was during a spike in demand a few years back that caused them to consider a second or third vendor. If that's the case, it's doubtful they would be willing to share that information.

I think the choices are limited to set it back 2 inches or turn it into a tomato stake.
    Savage makes their own barrels. They do drilling, reaming, Button Rifling on Barstock blanks, then machine profile. They even have their own Kilns for heat treating, stress relieving.

Here is the response I got from savage I posted my question to them as well.

MJ (Savage Arms, Inc)

Aug 11, 2021, 1:58 PM EDT

With the barrel being purchased second hand, we cannot provide service to it. We also wouldn't know why the barrel looks the way it does and would not be able to replace the barrel as it was not the factory provided barrel for the firearm. I would suggest containing the seller and see if they had any issues with the barrel or if they have any performance data with the barrel.
    Technical Services

C Franklin50

Aug 5, 2021, 12:44 PM EDT

I AM NOT LOOKING FOR A WARRANTY CLAIM. Okay now that's out of the way. I have called twice now trying to get answers for a rifling defect for a second hand barrel that came from a model 12VLP sku#18464 serial#unknown. I have two videos posted documentting the defect. Could you please watch them and let me know what could have caused this and is it worth even trying to shoot or would it be a waste of hard to find components.
    https://youtu.be/qRZpU49UquY
    https://youtu.be/v_zQ447N9qk