Thread: Ok, all BS aside, what is a great scope for long range shooting?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    There is no BMR, I believe it was a misquoteBushnell Elite Tactical DMR II 3.5-21x50 - G3 under $900

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020586712?pid=144123
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    There is no BMR, I believe it was a misquoteBushnell Elite Tactical DMR II 3.5-21x50 - G3 under $900

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020586712?pid=144123
    Yep, thanks for the correction. I am not sure why i typed Bmr2 when it was obviously the Dmr2... I think i wrote BTR too many times when i was talking about the athalon scope i have and just got the old wires crossed.

Basic Member
    The Bushnell DMR II is a little outdated feature wise, but it's probably the best scope out there under $1k. To beat what it brings to the shooter, you'll have to look at scopes in the $1500 range, and most scopes today in that range only offer different versions of a Christmas tree reticle that tend to be rather busy for some of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    The Bushnell DMR II is a little outdated feature wise, but it's probably the best scope out there under $1k. To beat what it brings to the shooter, you'll have to look at scopes in the $1500 range, and most scopes today in that range only offer different versions of a Christmas tree reticle that tend to be rather busy for some of us.

Done!!!!!

Basic Member
    The reason for the tapered reticle as described in Want2rides post is because the scope is a first focal plane model.
    The reticle will increase in its size as the power is increased in first focal plane scopes, whereas in second focal plane scopes they stay the same size thruout the power range.
    The tapered reticle design however is nothing new, and i doubt it is patented.
    The Bausch & Lomb Balvar line of scopes popular back in the 60s and 70s were first focal plane scopes, and were only available with the tapered cross hair reticle.
    The reticle was actually a separate (lens), with the cross hair (etched) onto it.
    The B & L Balvar 6x24 variable target model scope had the same reticle, as did all the others in that line of scopes.
    I used one of those scopes on one of my long range guns for about 30 years, only recently replacing it with a Nightforce due to the urging of my sons.
    I had an after market rear micrometor type mount very similar to the old Unertles.
    From my 100 yd zero i had over 500 1/4 minit clicks of elevation in that setup.
    I needed 200 of them to get out to 1700 with the gun when it was a 30x378.
    If i had my time to do over, that scope would still be on that gun.