Thread: Savage 116 long range build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortbox4x4 View Post
    I should’ve added this to my post...

Two years ago I was getting very close to building my new F Class Open rifle. I was so close to doing it in 300 Norma but that would mean getting the Lapua mag bolt face. After all the work we had been involved with making 300PRC test barrels early on (even before the round was announced to the public) and seeing the performance data of it compared to the Norma and it (PRC) still used a standard mag bolt face I felt gave me more options. So I went 300PRC. That way I can do other mag calibers if I choose on that action.

The action I used is the Barnard Model PL. This action can handle up to the 338 Lapua for length. The receiver threads are also 1.125”. So my barrel has a 1.350” breech diameter x 5” long and str tapers to 1.100” @ 32” finish length. Besides having more meat on the bolt diameter (which is .944”) in conjunction with the larger thread and bigger receiver diameter at 1.456” (vs. a 1.350” for a Remmy or a Savage) that bigger receiver handles the heavier barrel weight better than the smaller actions as well.
    some guys are saying hornady brass sucks and only getting 3 reloads before primers loosen. I never used hornady so idk. How does the prc tune for load development?

1000 yrd for Apple accuracy the OP will need to have a very good rig and very good skills but i would recommend the 300 wsm long throated for a 210-215 berger. Can easily get 2800-2900 fps from a 26-28” barrel. I get 2800 now out of a 24 with no pressure signs. 300 wsm has quite the winning historyin 1000 yrd games. Its got a rep for being easy to tune loads for. Going beyond that may want more hp, prc and 30 nosler come to mind

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orr89rocz View Post
    some guys are saying hornady brass sucks and only getting 3 reloads before primers loosen. I never used hornady so idk. How does the prc tune for load development?

1000 yrd for Apple accuracy the OP will need to have a very good rig and very good skills but i would recommend the 300 wsm long throated for a 210-215 berger. Can easily get 2800-2900 fps from a 26-28” barrel. I get 2800 now out of a 24 with no pressure signs. 300 wsm has quite the winning historyin 1000 yrd games. Its got a rep for being easy to tune loads for. Going beyond that may want more hp, prc and 30 nosler come to mind
    As far as brass life goes with the Hornady....I'd take what you hear with a grain of salt. A lot of people are overloading the brass (higher than normal pressures) and that's what's killing the brass. it's not necessarily a brass quality issue. I hear the same complaint about Norma and I haven't seen any issues with Norma either.

When someone says well I don't get a heavy bolt lift or the double click or the primers are not flat etc...that doesn't mean that a shooter is not running the ammo beyond the max. working pressure.

I can give plenty of examples of Lapua brass being wrecked in just one firing. I myself on my 284win F class loads with Lapua brass the primer pockets where loose after 3 firings. Loose enough that I wouldn't use them again. Could I still use them? Sure but you could definitely tell a difference on how the primers seat in the case.

Mark here shoots BR. His 6PPC and Lapua brass on the low end only 3 loadings and on the upper end about 12 loads out of a piece of brass. For him it depends on conditions and how he loads at the match.

I've got three loadings on my 300PRC brass and have not thrown out a case yet for any reason.

Also guys measure case weight and complain about this or that brass maker. What most don't realize is that a .001" difference on the extractor cut of the case will easily effect the weight but I feel we should be more concerned about case volume and not necessarily case weight but the weight is easier to measure so that's what most go off of.