Thread: Boyds Pro Varmint stock impressions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    I have two of these stocks on a pair of model 10 223 varmint rifles. Both have McGowan varmint barrels and I had to sand out the barrel channel in both to make the barrels fit, no problem, I expected that.

I got a little overzealous with the action screws in one of them and cracked the web of the stock between the screws. At that point the rifle shot like crap. I cleaned out the wood at the crack and filled it in with epoxy then I pillar and epoxy bedded the action. Problem fixed. Be careful not to over torque those screws or you will crack the stock.

My repairs worked so well that I went ahead and pillar and epoxy bedded the action into the second stock. Both rifles are now tack drivers and with that huge stock, varmint barrel and tactical scope each weighs 13 1/2 pounds. (rock chucks don't mind though)

I had tried a Boyd's At-One stock and did not like it at all because the comb and butt pieces were not solid. (I'm willing to sell that stock) Both of my Pro-Varmint stocks are fitted with the adjustable cheek piece and extra LOP to fit me better and I really like them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    I have two of these stocks on a pair of model 10 223 varmint rifles. Both have McGowan varmint barrels and I had to sand out the barrel channel in both to make the barrels fit, no problem, I expected that.

I got a little overzealous with the action screws in one of them and cracked the web of the stock between the screws. At that point the rifle shot like crap. I cleaned out the wood at the crack and filled it in with epoxy then I pillar and epoxy bedded the action. Problem fixed. Be careful not to over torque those screws or you will crack the stock.

My repairs worked so well that I went ahead and pillar and epoxy bedded the action into the second stock. Both rifles are now tack drivers and with that huge stock, varmint barrel and tactical scope each weighs 13 1/2 pounds. (rock chucks don't mind though)

I had tried a Boyd's At-One stock and did not like it at all because the comb and butt pieces were not solid. (I'm willing to sell that stock) Both of my Pro-Varmint stocks are fitted with the adjustable cheek piece and extra LOP to fit me better and I really like them.
    I have mine torqued to 35 in.lbs front 25 rear. How much did you have yours set to when it cracked?

The At-One caught my eye initially, but I decided I like the more traditional look and fit of the Pro Varmint better and it's very close to the HS Precision stock on my Savage 10.

Basic Member
    Here is the Boyds Pro Varmint (foreground) on the Mark II compared to the HS Precision on the Model 10 -

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
    I have mine torqued to 35 in.lbs front 25 rear. How much did you have yours set to when it cracked?

The At-One caught my eye initially, but I decided I like the more traditional look and fit of the Pro Varmint better and it's very close to the HS Precision stock on my Savage 10.
    When I cracked it I did not use the torque wrench. I just tightened it down with an allen wrench, guess I don't know my own strength.

Now that I've pillar and epoxy bedded both of my Boyds stocks I always use the torque wrench and tighten both screws to 35 in lbs.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    When I cracked it I did not use the torque wrench. I just tightened it down with an allen wrench, guess I don't know my own strength.

Now that I've pillar and epoxy bedded both of my Boyds stocks I always use the torque wrench and tighten both screws to 35 in lbs.
    Thanks - I should be good then.

I have heard of people torquing up to about 65 in lbs, but that seemed excessive to me - and may be too much for the stocks.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
    Thanks - I should be good then.

I have heard of people torquing up to about 65 in lbs, but that seemed excessive to me - and may be too much for the stocks.
    Yep. Since I just used an allen wrench I have no idea how tight I made it. The take away is that those Boyds laminated stocks will crack if they are tightened down too much.