Thread: Seating dies, competition dies ,custom

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Mike,

Thanks. Except I do measure OAL, not to ogive. I find with most bullets I use the measurements give the same basic results since the bullet tip to ogive is the same. Maybe if you get into the .001" tolerances there is some difference, but, I have not felt the need to go there, nor do most reloaders.

Yes, except for those in the extreme portions of shooting (like precision long range and bench rest) that .020 off the lands is a safe number. Too many inexperienced reloaders will try to emulate someone who loads closer to the lands without really knowing how to do it.

Keep in mind when I say 'most' people I mean the total number of reloaders, not 'most' precision long range or bench rest shooters. If someone is in here asking questions I classify them in the former group, not the latter, unless they present information that proves otherwise.

Banned
    i do not know what bullets you use, but it is well known that production bullets VARY in tip length, easily to .015" or more.
    i cannot reccommend your methods to anyone.
    i had a lot of sierra 52 hp's that were 2 separate lots from two runs. completely DIFFERENT oals.
    sierra admitted their error and said they no longer mix bullet RUN lots IN ONE BOX
    it is the very reason we DO NOT seat from the tip of a rifle bullet.
    your method is NOT COMMON USEAGE in any precision rifle loading

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Mike,

Thanks. Except I do measure OAL, not to ogive. I find with most bullets I use the measurements give the same basic results since the bullet tip to ogive is the same. Maybe if you get into the .001" tolerances there is some difference, but, I have not felt the need to go there, nor do most reloaders.

Yes, except for those in the extreme portions of shooting (like precision long range and bench rest) that .020 off the lands is a safe number. Too many inexperienced reloaders will try to emulate someone who loads closer to the lands without really knowing how to do it.

Keep in mind when I say 'most' people I mean the total number of reloaders, not 'most' precision long range or bench rest shooters. If someone is in here asking questions I classify them in the former group, not the latter, unless they present information that proves otherwise.

Basic Member
    Thanks Mike :)