Thread: Same idea..but using Titanium & Tungsten Carbide. (Pics)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    LOL! You know what I meant Robin. But nice “get” on me, haha.

Sorry..let me expound. I meant EXTRA parts on the outside that don’t need to be there except for not wanting to complete a task. As shortening the bolt. But I’ll say, the one you showed is nice. Can’t even see the spacer! Did you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    LOL! You know what I meant Robin. But nice “get” on me, haha.

Sorry..let me expound. I meant EXTRA parts on the outside that don’t need to be there except for not wanting to complete a task. As shortening the bolt. But I’ll say, the one you showed is nice. Can’t even see the spacer! Did you do that?

What do you think?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Very nice machining. Oh wait.... is that the same one with the swept back bolt you made?

I agree with what you said... “Shnazzy”! Can’t see any separation between the bolt & washer. Way outta my league! I make functional parts with “ok” machining finish. But my machining is novice compared to that!

In in other words.. I like it. Great stuff my friend.

LOL Dave, You are more full of it than me.

It was just a different approach. Tried several versions including one like the PT&G and then a version with a rolling ball end set screw. Nothing like the exotic metals you use though. The 4140 is close to 30 RC and the balls are like 60 .

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post

It was just a different approach. Tried several versions including one like the PT&G and then a version with a rolling ball end set screw. Nothing like the exotic metals you use though. The 4140 is close to 30 RC and the balls are like 60 .
    Is it worth drilling and tapping the .357 case to use a set screws with a ball that turns like the one above?

Quote Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
    Is it worth drilling and tapping the .357 case to use a set screws with a ball that turns like the one above?
    Sorry JKV45, The BAS is drilled and tapped(this is a 6mm screw) in a collet, in the lathe. It could probably be done a couple of ways but it must be on center and concentric! The flat surface is machined out of round stock to fit in the sleeve like the case does . It is kind of reverse from the pistol case setup. The stack height is very low, something like 3/32 or less. If you machine the screw back it can even be a negative number. Be careful with shortening the whole system too much. You don't want the cocking pin in the sleeves entry slot.

Basic Member
    Sorry JKV45, The BAS is drilled and tapped(this is a 6mm screw) in a collet, in the lathe. It could probably be done a couple of ways but it must be on center and concentric! The flat surface is machined out of round stock to fit in the sleeve like the case does . It is kind of reverse from the pistol case setup. The stack height is very low, something like 3/32 or less. If you machine the screw back it can even be a negative number. Be careful with shortening the whole system too much. You don't want the cocking pin in the sleeves entry slot.
    Thanks.

Banned
    Oh...well I apologize. I’m not purposefully trying to be full of anything. Sorry

Basic Member
    When I added My 38 spcl & ball, the added length was .079”. I took that amount off the back of the cocking sleeve. It works fine.

Did I do wrong ?

Quote Originally Posted by GrenGuy View Post
    When I added My 38 spcl & ball, the added length was .079”. I took that amount off the back of the cocking sleeve. It works fine.

Did I do wrong ?
    The only thing you could have done was weaken or distort the sleeve. If you didn't, I can't see why it would be wrong. .079 is thin. Must have used a 5/32 ball.