SageRat Shooter -

My current 6.5-06AI beats the 6.5PRC in velocity and uses fire-formed .25-06 brass. Accuracy is excellent with about 40-45% hit rate on clay pigeons at 600 yards last time I tried. The problem is it is a heavy-barrel with a laminate stock - not something I want to carry around, although I've taken antelope with it. Another 6.5 Something would be lighter weight for carry purposes. Because my rifle is a long action, though, I would prefer a long cartridge for (stupid) aesthetic reasons.

Agreed the .270 is close to the 6.5-06AI, .280 and 7mm RM. But I don't have one. I DO have a couple of very good .270 Win loads I developed for Daughter #1, though. A good 500-yard elk load with under 18 ft-lbs recoil. :)

Forgot to mention I have a Savage FXP3 in .243 Win. Shoots bug holes.

Short-action cartridges other than the 6.5PRC are probably a no-go.

Not worried about elk with anything 6.5 or above and the 142g AccuBond (.625 B.C.). H hunted them with my .257 Roberts, .30-30, .375 Win, .45-70. Some rifles let me take longer range shots, is all, but I've taken them from 25 yards to 487.

The 26 Nosler is looking better and better as I can download it or load it to the gills. And barrels are plentiful, unlike 6.5-06AI. Just wish brass was more available/cheaper.

The .270 has been ticking up in the list - plentiful barrels, cheap brass, 150g AccuBond (.591 B.C.) and I already have the dies.

Half the fun is deciding. Kind of like hunting elk - the fun stops when you pull the trigger. :)

Edited to add: I prefer a 22-24" barrel.