Thread: Walmart special axis 223 heavy barrel reloading journal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    If you haven't done so already, switch out the trigger spring for the varmint spring (also called target spring by some online stores) and you'll get a much lighter trigger pull. In my 9 twist 12FV I found the 53 gr V-Max and IMR-3031 to be extremely accurate all the way to 500 yds.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    If you haven't done so already, switch out the trigger spring for the varmint spring (also called target spring by some online stores) and you'll get a much lighter trigger pull. In my 9 twist 12FV I found the 53 gr V-Max and IMR-3031 to be extremely accurate all the way to 500 yds.
    Thanks for the advice I plan on tweaking the trigger like you recommended. I should be close to shooting the fire forming groups soon. I prepped the brass last night and will get the rest finished up probably this weekend. Hopefully we can get some warmer and dryer weather soon so I can get to my shooting spot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    On my 1:9 12FV I load up Sierra 69 Tipped Match Kings on top of 24.5 gr of Varget and Starline brass. Gets me right under 2900 fps and 1/2" groups.

Basic Member
    Nice.
    The 223 is an excellent cartridge when the barrel has enough twist as to stabilize the heavy for caliber bullets. With the 70 and 80 grain lead tips the cartridge is certainly deer sized game capable and of course varmints don’t stand a chance.
    I built a fast twist 22-250 and it uickly became my favourite shooter. I think I’m going to sling the 95 grain sierras for this coming season.
    Anyway for varmints checknout the 53 grain vmax,unless you’re after mucho velocity,then the 40 grain vmax are absolutely explosive for anything small. Pink mist all day long.
    As I was testing bullet weights,as my barrel is a 26” 7 twist shilen but I was basically flying blind since load data for 90 grain projectiles was tough to find at the time,so I started with 80 grain projectiles and worked up to heavier bullets based on the data acquired using a specific piwder(superformance).
    Anyways my point being I had some mind blowingly tight groups with minimal load development using the hornady hpbt. They shot so well I almost stuck with them,almost. And they are inexpensive too.
    Enjoy the new rifle.