Thread: Savage 10T and general QAQC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Another thought to add to this. I was really disappointed when savage (probably more vista outdoors) delved into an incredibly saturated AR market. My understanding of Savages past was that it nearly went under mostly because it's product line was entirely too diverse and their overhead was unmanageable. Ron Coburn takes over and Savage becomes a company that focused on doing one thing well - the 110 bolt action. Making ARs seems like an unnecessary distraction (and probably not all that profitable).

Bill

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C View Post
    Making ARs seems like an unnecessary distraction (and probably not all that profitable).

Bill

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
    I think you'd be surprised just how many AR's they're selling. As for it being a distraction, the only parts I'm aware of that they're making in-house for the AR's is the barrels and maybe the billet receivers on the side-charging models. All the small parts, furniture and forged receivers are outsourced by my understanding.

The reason Savage almost went belly up wasn't as much about how diverse their product line was, but rather because the corporation that owned it at the time refused to invest any money into it. You can't make quality products when your working with tired old machinery and worn out tooling and the corporate overlords just wanted to bleed Savage dry for every penny they possibly could with no care or concern for the companies reputation or product quality.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain