Thread: which Savage rifle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rebs View Post
    Thank you for the replies, Here is a little more info.
    Yes I do reload my own ammo. This rifle would be 95% target use with maybe 5% chuck hunting. Range of 50 to 300 yds with an occasional trip to a 1000 yd range

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    go with the 6.5 Creed or .260 Remington (I went with the .260) then, as you are a reloader and you plan to target shoot and chucks (tough little buggers) and a trip to 1000 yards is well within its capabilities. As for glass I've heard good things about the Athlon Argos 6-24x50 (in the $350 range) or the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 ($1000+) if you want to upgrade to the Mid level target scopes. I'm a little biased toward the Sightron as I have one and It is the bomb.

The 6.5 CM would be my choice, too. Although, I really like the 280 Ackley, too. The 280 gives a little broader range of critters you could take. But, with expense of sharper recoil, as well as more expensive ammo. The 6.5CM really is a nice shooter.

Scope wise: I have 4 FFP Athlons on everything from .22LR's to 300WM's and have 0 complaints. $ 4 $, nothing else out there will touch them, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by A&8's View Post
    Scope wise: I have 4 FFP Athlons on everything from .22LR's to 300WM's and have 0 complaints. $ 4 $, nothing else out there will touch them, IMO.
    A&8's

looking at an Argos for my Dad as a possible long range scope... Can you tell me how the tracking is on those scopes as well as clarity (say compared to a Leupold for example). How may MOA do they have on the elevation and windage turrets?

Basic Member
    A&8's

looking at an Argos for my Dad as a possible long range scope... Can you tell me how the tracking is on those scopes as well as clarity (say compared to a Leupold for example). How may MOA do they have on the elevation and windage turrets?

It boxes and tall target tests dead on. Compared to my VX3ii or old MK4, clarity is equal....maybe a touch less than the MK4, but my 47 year old eyes can't hardly tell.

60MOA adjustment on W & E.

I like them well enough, I've decided to become a stocking dealer, in my retail shop. They're just a really good, intermediate price point scope.

Basic Member
    A&8's

*Edit* - looks like I missed A&8s reply, I'll leave my comment but I think he covers it all pretty well.

I have a couple of the Argos 6-24x50s, one on my AR and one on my Rem 722 trainer. Tracking seems to be in line with my Vortex Viper HST, you will want to check for a mushy turret, but there is a pretty simple way to fix that by some searching online (I believe just removing factory grease, I have not done mine). However, most of the new Athlons have been fixed by the company before being shipped it seems and not as much of a complaint.

Glass clarity is great for the price of the scope. Some say in line with Vortex Viper line glass, although personally owning both I would give the nod to Vortex. The Athlons do however have better glass than anything I've seen in the price range.

Elevation/Windage is 18 mil and 18 mil or 60 MOA and 60 MOA. I've read somewhere that some are getting a little over the stated values. Let me know if you have any other questions about the Argos.