Thread: Brass Sizing and the Savage Barrel Nut Equation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Here is a little info on what I have going with my 47L. Using my Hornady gauge with the D .400 insert, I get the following measurements with my calipers;
    1.438" on my PTG Go gauge
    1.440" on my sized brass
    I don't have a number for you on my fired brass because I don't have any right now and don't remember what that number is. I usually measure the first few cases I resize in every batch and go for .002'' bump. I can tell you that about 2 years ago when I installed the barrel (Shilen chambered with PTG reamer) I could not get the shoulder bump I wanted and did end up shortening my shell holder a bit on some emery cloth. I don't recall how much I took off of it either, and I don't keep notes in my folder for that kind of stuff. Maybe I should start keeping more info. Hope some of that info helps you out.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Here is a little info on what I have going with my 47L. Using my Hornady gauge with the D .400 insert, I get the following measurements with my calipers;
    1.438" on my PTG Go gauge
    1.440" on my sized brass
    I don't have a number for you on my fired brass because I don't have any right now and don't remember what that number is. I usually measure the first few cases I resize in every batch and go for .002'' bump. I can tell you that about 2 years ago when I installed the barrel (Shilen chambered with PTG reamer) I could not get the shoulder bump I wanted and did end up shortening my shell holder a bit on some emery cloth. I don't recall how much I took off of it either, and I don't keep notes in my folder for that kind of stuff. Maybe I should start keeping more info. Hope some of that info helps you out.
    Funny... My gauges are also from PTG and they are .010 shorter than yours....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Funny... My gauges are also from PTG and they are .010 shorter than yours....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can only guess that there is a tolerance difference in our measuring equipment. Could be the hole diameter in the bushing, hole chamfer angle or depth, difference in caliper calibration, or who knows! I use my equipment as a way to compare my fired vs. unfired vs. sized or whatever, for my reference purposes. It would be interesting to measure all of our stuff with the same caliper and bushing, who knows what numbers we would come up with then. I think we can only use our own equipment to compare our own components. It would be nice if we had a good, known standard to work with. Who knows! Part of the fun/ frustration with reloading... chasing consistency.