Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    I posted in the original thread last year when I bought one of these great rifles. I have had to work a few bugs out of my 223 concerning primer cratering and blanking, but it is really proving to be an excellent shooter. I got rid of the tupperware and installed an H-S Precision PST114 stock. It completely changed the look, feel and performance of this $200 rifle. I purchased the DBM bottom metal through Savage. It fits in the H-S stock perfectly. I went with a Blackhawk rail, Leupold rings and a Weaver Tactical 4-20x50FFP scope. The groups were fired at our indoor 100 yard range with an Oehler System 85 doing the measuring. She is a shooter for sure!!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152940.../shares/JfiPEb

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quigley257 View Post
    I posted in the original thread last year when I bought one of these great rifles. I have had to work a few bugs out of my 223 concerning primer cratering and blanking, but it is really proving to be an excellent shooter. I got rid of the tupperware and installed an H-S Precision PST114 stock. It completely changed the look, feel and performance of this $200 rifle. I purchased the DBM bottom metal through Savage. It fits in the H-S stock perfectly. I went with a Blackhawk rail, Leupold rings and a Weaver Tactical 4-20x50FFP scope. The groups were fired at our indoor 100 yard range with an Oehler System 85 doing the measuring. She is a shooter for sure!!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152940.../shares/JfiPEb

Dang Quigley,

She's a looker and a good shooter. Nice groups! Your rifle looks like my 12FV Creedmoor as I have it in the same PST114 style stock in black. I did not have to buy the hardware as it was originally with the Savage 10 FCP SR, which I decided to put in the chasis. I currently borrowed a Leupold 6.5-20X40 EFR scope from a another rifle to go on it. I hope mine shoots as well.

If you don't mind telling, how difficult was it ordering the bottom metal for the PST114 stock? I have been thinking about re-stocking one of my others with a HS Precision stock, but wasn't sure how difficult it was to order the bottom metal from Savage.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicfromAlabama View Post

If you don't mind telling, how difficult was it ordering the bottom metal for the PST114 stock? I have been thinking about re-stocking one of my others with a HS Precision stock, but wasn't sure how difficult it was to order the bottom metal from Savage.
    I ordered the bottom metal a while ago directly from Savage. I think it was around $100. You can email Savage with your model and serial number and tell them what you are trying to do with the rifle. They will let you know which part numbers you need to order. Pretty simple and straight forward. They shipped my parts quickly and my stock only needed some minor sanding to fit the trigger guard properly. Good luck with yours. I was pleasantly surprised to see the 6.5 added to the 12FV lineup. It ought to be a great entry level long range setup. I tallied up all the Creedmoors that I have shot over the past year(over 100) and crunched the numbers as I do all the accuracy certification shooting at H-S Precision. I found it interesting that the 24" barrels almost always outperform the 26" barrels when it comes to velocity. Not by much, but enough that I will make any future personal Creedmoors 24" instead of 26". We use Hornady Match #81500 140gr ammo for all accuracy certifications. The only factory ammo I have found that comes close to it in consistency is the Federal Gold Medal Match GM308M 168gr loads that we use for 308Win rifles. Every other caliber is certified using hand loads. All in all these 12FVs are fantastic bargains for anyone looking to get in to an accurate, quality centerfire rifle at an amazing price. Even at full retail, these rifles are a great buy! -Quigley