Thread: test firing a rebarrel job - safety measures?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ted:

yes, i am aware, was mostly kidding about the break in controversy. i am envious of guys i know with even criterion bbls, virtually wiping out the bore in a couple of strokes. meanwhile i pull out my borescope and butch's or some such. i have seen and recorded all sorts of tooling marks, embedded impurities, discontinuities in the bbl steel, chipped out lands, waffle iron patterns, and burnt out throats - Not talking strictly savage here.

one 700 in 243 i picked up used had an eroded throat, rounded lands, and even some pitting spanning two lands. it was intended for rebarrel, until i shot it. groups nicely, but pita to clean... abaolute pita!
    another remmy escapee... might be a savage for the next half century,

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chop house View Post
    Ted:

yes, i am aware, was mostly kidding about the break in controversy. i am envious of guys i know with even criterion bbls, virtually wiping out the bore in a couple of strokes. meanwhile i pull out my borescope and butch's or some such. i have seen and recorded all sorts of tooling marks, embedded impurities, discontinuities in the bbl steel, chipped out lands, waffle iron patterns, and burnt out throats - Not talking strictly savage here.

one 700 in 243 i picked up used had an eroded throat, rounded lands, and even some pitting spanning two lands. it was intended for rebarrel, until i shot it. groups nicely, but pita to clean... abaolute pita!
    Oh lol... there really are alot of folks that think break in is worthless :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk