Thread: Sharp Shooter Supply Order

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by homefrontsniper View Post
    That's my problem I will be worried about it. I like to know if its torqued @ 35 lbs
    I used to use 30-35 ftlbs. Last year at the South Eastern Precision Rifle Club Series Finale in Finger, TN at K&M Shooting Complex day 1 was a beautiful 70* day and the rifle was just a laser all day finishing day 1 in the top 10. Day 2 we woke up to a 17* morning and it never got over 24*. Couldn't hit a thing all day....... About a month later I took the rifle back out to try and figure out what was going on and as I was getting ready to give up on the barrel that only had about 500rds on it at the time I found as I moved the rifle by the barrel that it had come loose. and that's why I was unable to hit the broadside of a barn all day at the match on day 2. I now use 60ftlbs because of that and check my barrel before every match I travel too. I've done at least 20-30 barrel installations and that is the only time it's ever happened to me. I will do my best to ensure that it's the last time.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    check my barrel before every match I travel too.
    That's not a bad idea for anyone who uses the lower torque settings. I'm not a major fan of heavy torque settings due to increased stresses possible but am totally aware that several heat/cool cycles can end up with things loosening up. Recently had a Muzzle brake do that very thing. Luckily it was equipped with a pinch bolt so I didn't have to increase the torque, merely tighten the pinch bolt a small amount.

I've pretty much gotten into the habit of checking torque on all screws on my rifles on a regular basis. From action screws on up to to the scope cap screws with everything in between. Usually everything is snug but every once in a while-------

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I used to use 30-35 ftlbs. Last year at the South Eastern Precision Rifle Club Series Finale in Finger, TN at K&M Shooting Complex day 1 was a beautiful 70* day and the rifle was just a laser all day finishing day 1 in the top 10. Day 2 we woke up to a 17* morning and it never got over 24*. Couldn't hit a thing all day....... About a month later I took the rifle back out to try and figure out what was going on and as I was getting ready to give up on the barrel that only had about 500rds on it at the time I found as I moved the rifle by the barrel that it had come loose. and that's why I was unable to hit the broadside of a barn all day at the match on day 2. I now use 60ftlbs because of that and check my barrel before every match I travel too. I've done at least 20-30 barrel installations and that is the only time it's ever happened to me. I will do my best to ensure that it's the last time.

Ok, going from 35'lbs to 60'lbs of torque, was your zero (accuracy) the same? Did it move ? Up ..down. L.R ?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by homefrontsniper View Post
    Ok, going from 35'lbs to 60'lbs of torque, was your zero (accuracy) the same? Did it move ? Up ..down. L.R ?
    Everything was the same, but I did have to rezero as I tested for a scope issue before I figured out it was a barrel.