Thread: Rebarreling

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    I can, they are not great as the resolution of the format is not great and no adjustment.

Currently its hours de combat as I was leaving The want plugged in as it was handy at my cleaning station.

USB ports (the small ones) are not combat hardened (I tend to be a bit ham fisted when not concentrating) . So far that is the only issue I have with the Layman (replacement on the way)

I will let you know when I have them. I can do Savage, XC, Shilen, LW for comparison., I can throw in a K31, a G/11 and some Model of 1917s and a 1903!

Of interest is the Hammer Forged Remington that is quite smooth. The CZ 22 barrel is also very nice (hammer forged but I believe hand lapped as well, maybe finish bored, they do a quality process abo9ve and beyond simple hammer forged, that one I got 1/2 MOA out of if I have the right hold, its really too lite for a bench rest target gun)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post

Of interest is the Hammer Forged Remington that is quite smooth.

I can attest that the Rem Hammer Forged barrels are smooth. I had a 5-R Milspec that was one of the best shooting, out of the box, factory rifles I've ever owned. Cleaning was a dream. The bore looked like itty bitty people crawled through with polishing equipment and made every square milimeter as shiny as possible. I replaced that barrel with a Benchmark 5-C after over 10,000 rounds.

The trigger on the 5-R Milspec stunk but with a replacement Timney the rifle shot great in the factory stock.

One thing certain, CHF barrels are not only smooth (if the mandrel they're formed on is) they are also durable. The process was developed to provide barrels for the MG-42 which, at it's high cyclic rate of fire, absolutely ate barrels made by traditional methods. The process is expensive due to the cost of the equipment so you'll find most aftermarket barrel makers sticking to the old "button" or "single point cut" methods of rifling.