Thread: Stevens 200, 7mm-08 to .222 conversion?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The first issue was that when I sent the bolt forward the round would pop out of the Magazine. Since it was a for a .243 I expected to have to make some adjustment. I did some checking and a few companies (Brownells and Midway) sell a magazine feed lip tool. I decided I was going to make my own since it a pretty simple looking concept. I used a large shank screw driver and cut it down and then I cut a groove in it to grab the feed lips and beveled off the other side opposite of the groove. Once I was able to get the box mag off the action which isn't too easy then adjusted inward in small increments. It made a huge improvement in feeding. It still isn't quite perfect probably has a hiccup about 1 out of 10 rounds but I'm going with it for now until I can get my hands on a .223 box or I swap out the stock and go with a DBM setup.

homefront
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1068SPC View Post
    The first issue was that when I sent the bolt forward the round would pop out of the Magazine. Since it was a for a .243 I expected to have to make some adjustment. I did some checking and a few companies (Brownells and Midway) sell a magazine feed lip tool. I decided I was going to make my own since it a pretty simple looking concept. I used a large shank screw driver and cut it down and then I cut a groove in it to grab the feed lips and beveled off the other side opposite of the groove. Once I was able to get the box mag off the action which isn't too easy then adjusted inward in small increments. It made a huge improvement in feeding. It still isn't quite perfect probably has a hiccup about 1 out of 10 rounds but I'm going with it for now until I can get my hands on a .223 box or I swap out the stock and go with a DBM setup.
    So, you had to move the lips of the .243 box inward, then later you'll have to move the .223 DBM lips outward? I'm hoping that standard .223 box and bolt head will just feed the .222 without drama. I hate drama.

I don't like drama either but tinkering can be fun in a way. I am hopeful what I've done will work itself out but if not and I do eventually have to go to a .223 box the feed lips will be just right without adjustment.