Thread: 308 full length sizing issue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Clean the die and check the vent hole, I had the same thing happen because the dies lock ring covered the vent hole.

It doesn't matter if it is a oil or thicker type lube when full length resizing the lube is forced upward and then compressed and causes dents.

So again check for a vent hole, one of the new dies I just bought didn't even have a vent hole.

What make die are you using and if its a small base die. (I gots to know)

trentcwwilson
    Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
    Clean the die and check the vent hole, I had the same thing happen because the dies lock ring covered the vent hole.

It doesn't matter if it is a oil or thicker type lube when full length resizing it is forced upward and then compressed and causes dents.

So again check for a vent hole, one of the new dies I just bought didn't even have a vent hole.

I posted the die set above I think. I'm currently in the hospital visiting my grandmother and checking on her knee replacement. She's doing well, I know you guys would ask. I hadn't checked if the vent hole is blocked, then again, this only happens on a few cases. I know the Lee dies I have GUSH oil when I'm in a groove doing .223 and 416 Barrett.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Basic Member

It doesn't matter if it is a oil or thicker type lube when full length resizing the lube is forced upward and then compressed and causes dents.

That was my first thought but at second glance the majority of the dent is on the side of the case and extends a little into the shoulder. If this was a lube dent there would be a huge glob of lube remaining on the case and subsequent sized cases would have dents of decreasing size as the excess lube transfers from die to case.

trentcwwilson
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post
    That was my first thought but at second glance the majority of the dent is on the side of the case and extends a little into the shoulder. If this was a lube dent there would be a huge glob of lube remaining on the case and subsequent sized cases would have dents of decreasing size as the excess lube transfers from die to case.
    I'm an anal little prick, so I know my dies are clean. And it won't be the die interior considering it's a Redding set. I'll check the vent hole. I have it set per Lee's setup seeing as the Redding directions were a bit vague. Raise ram, insert until it touches, lower ram, 1/3 to 1/4 turn to overcam the ram, tighten lock ring. I didn't see if the lock ring covered the vent hole.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post
    He is using synthetic motor oil for his case lube and its not going to stay in one place. His next problem will be a blown head gasket and smoke coming out of his tail pipe.

Normally real thicker case lube collects in the shoulder area of the die and causes shoulder dents. His problem is the "motor oil" is running back down hill in the die and a new oiled case is then pushed back into the die on top of the old oil in the die.

Quote Originally Posted by trentcwwilson View Post
    I know the Lee dies I have GUSH oil when I'm in a groove doing .223 and 416 Barrett.
    I still want to know if he is using a small base die without a vent hole or blocked vent hole.

trentcwwilson
    He is using synthetic motor oil for his case lube and its not going to stay in one place. His next problem will be a blown head gasket and smoke coming out of his tail pipe.

Normally real thicker case lube collects in the shoulder area of the die and causes shoulder dents. His problem is the "motor oil" is running back down hill in the die and a new oiled case is then pushed back into the die on top of the old oil in the die.
    Again, not a lube issue. I lube one case, then run half a dozen. I've used this same method for 10 years with no issue on my other bottleneck cases. Only started with 308.

Sound advice. It happened to me.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncwg2boatguy View Post
    Sound advice. It happened to me.
    Turned out to be me. Got lube on the neck. Redding advised me to only lube the neck and body. I also polished the expander area and that helped with the occasional stiff case. Due to their response (call, not an email), I'll be updating ALL my reloading equipment (minus the Dillon presses and Harrell powder throw) to Redding products. I also got lucky enough to get some once fired Nosler Custom brass from a guy that didn't know what it was. After depriming and SS wet tumble, they all weighed within .2 grains of each other. That's not bad for 24 pieces of brass.