Thread: Im losing sleep because of this!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Savageshooter12
    I developed a load for the 22-250 when I first got the gun. 36gr of varget with a 50gr nosler by. Shot very well in the winter. I tried it today and it still shot very well. I may just go back to varget since the load seem to work well then and now.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savageshooter12 View Post
    I developed a load for the 22-250 when I first got the gun. 36gr of varget with a 50gr nosler by. Shot very well in the winter. I tried it today and it still shot very well. I may just go back to varget since the load seem to work well then and now.
    Considering that Varget has the lowest listed temp sensitivity factor in the linked chart that makes a strong case for you to just back down a little on your IMR 4064 a little. It will probably take only a few tenths of a grain so I wouldn't worry too much about getting into the "detonation zone". The "starting load" is considered to be one that creates enough pressure to obturate the bullet enough to get a good seal in the bore. If you aren't getting a bunch of soot down the side of the case, at least you are getting enough pressure to seal the case to the chamber and by assumption, enough pressure to seal the bullet in the bore.

Could be your rifle has a very narrow node around your selected charge weight and a higher node might be more "forgiving" of temp/speed variations.