Thread: Tractor question - hydrostatic drive or shuttle-shift reliability

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    I did the same thing years back on a 10 acre parcel. I first bought an old Ford 600 with a loader on it,
    then traded that for a Kubota with a loader and a rear mount pto driven mower. It really wasent the best at anything.
    Skid steers were just beginning to appear back then and I never even considered one of those.
    But if I had my time over I would have bought a good used construction type backhoe with a loader on it to do everything as for clearing ect.
    Then later decided what type mower I needed to maintain it. A skid steer with a backhoe attachment would also be hard to beat
    for everything except mowing. Renting the right equiptment for the heavy work would probably be a wise move.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Renting the right equiptment for the heavy work would probably be a wise move.
    This is actually the direction we're leaning - along with looking at tractors in the the low 30 HP range.

Driveway maintenance and mowing will be the vast majority of work done with it.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_W View Post
    This is actually the direction we're leaning - along with looking at tractors in the the low 30 HP range.

Driveway maintenance and mowing will be the vast majority of work done with it.
    That's all fine, but first things first. And for that which could also include (creating) the driveway, septic system, etc, etc, you will do more work faster and better with the proper equiptment.
    As for the actual grass mowing, assuming its an established lawn and not a field requiring a brush hog, the tractors you mention would be no match for a zero turn mower.
    I had that proven to me when I sold my property and offered the Kubota to the buyer.
    He turned it down and had a zero turn delivered for a trial. He did in less than an hour what would have taken 3 hours with the Kubota, and there was no need for a small trim mower afterwards.
    Again, the right tool for the job at hand.

Basic Member
    Don't over look the 'Kioti'.......made in South Korea.....

I bought a new CK35 in 2010 w/front end loader...now has 300 hrs...not a minutes worth of trouble...

Tranny is gear driven...not HST......Have a variety of impliments..soon to add a 60" PTO tiller

http://www.kioti.com/products/tracto...series/ck3510/
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

Quote Originally Posted by Armed in Utah View Post
    Don't over look the 'Kioti'.......made in South Korea.....

I bought a new CK35 in 2010 w/front end loader...now has 300 hrs...not a minutes worth of trouble...

Tranny is gear driven...not HST......Have a variety of impliments..soon to add a 60" PTO tiller

http://www.kioti.com/products/tracto...series/ck3510/
    I'm not familiar the brand but will check them out.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    That's all fine, but first things first. And for that which could also include (creating) the driveway, septic system, etc, etc, you will do more work faster and better with the proper equiptment.
    As for the actual grass mowing, assuming its an established lawn and not a field requiring a brush hog, the tractors you mention would be no match for a zero turn mower.
    It's all field, all the way up to what will be the house. I have been looking at a zero turns and would like to get one after we get the yard established.

We'll have licensed contractors doing the septic system. It's actually the only construction that requires an inspection here.

The "driveway" is nothing but grass right now - 1,200' long. There's already quite a few dips in it. Most fill dirt delivered in this area has a lot if not mostly red clay. Not a fan of that for a driveway. Will be looking at crushed concrete or limestone in the future.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)