Thread: Recommend brand of barrel for 110 sporter replacement?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    I would rebarrel with a factory lightweight barrel, such as a takeoff barrel from Northland Shooters. I did that, and the rifle shot under 0.5" CTC for 5 shots at 100 yards.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/khoaplpree...15100.jpg?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by jim_k View Post
    I would rebarrel with a factory lightweight barrel, such as a takeoff barrel from Northland Shooters. I did that, and the rifle shot under 0.5" CTC for 5 shots at 100 yards.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/khoaplpree...15100.jpg?dl=0
    That's one fine shooter, Jim! I had an old well used and beat-up 110E .308 that was really consistent (if I was, too) to the point of being absurd. It liked IMR 3031 and 168 gr Sierra MatchKings. (The Nosler 155 CC you're using is one fine bullet, too!) A friend literally took that old wood-stocked rifle from me and never returned it, just gave me money instead. Come to think of it, it wasn't much money either. :-)

Thanks for the recommendation to find out what Northland might have in a take-off barrel. I have to get into contact with them to get the barrel/action tools, too. I hope they're done cleaning up from the latest Bismarck Blizzard and are now vacationing in Hawaii. While they're gone they could leave the barrels outside for cryogenic treatment. Makes me wonder, too, if Shilen in Texas uses the local Dairy Queen to deep fry each barrel before it's shipped?

Basic Member
    I used to live pretty close to Shilen. Their barrels are excellent; I've had a few, and they performed great. They diamond-lap their barrels, so there is no need to do a break-in. Just clean it, fire one shot to let it know it's a rifle barrel, then fire for effect. I agree about the IMR 3031 and 168 Sierra's. I'm saving my 3031, since my son-in-law's rifle shoots it so great, I don't want to run out of his favorite powder!
    On Northland Shooters Supply website, look under "Clearance" for the take-off barrels. There are a couple of new take-off 22-250 barrels there. I would opt for the 9-twist if it was me. If you only shoot the light bullets, 12-twist is OK. Either one will get you out to 300 yards like a champ!