Thread: Wet Tumbling

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    ......... snip.................... I've read that worked brass tends to age harden fairly quickly, .......... snip..................
    What you read is wrong. Cartridge brass does not age harden at room temperature to any measurable degree. I wonder if what you read was written by reloaders or other people who do not have an educational background which included the study of metallurgy.

I don't doubt what you say, but if the precision of your loads deteriorates with age, it is for some other reason than the cases age hardening. I have a 600 yd bench rest gun I shoot only once a month or less. It's not uncommon for me to load a big batch of competition ammo for the upcoming 6 months. The old stuff shoots just as well as the new stuff, so my experience is different from yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozella View Post
    What you read is wrong. Cartridge brass does not age harden at room temperature to any measurable degree. I wonder if what you read was written by reloaders or other people who do not have an educational background which included the study of metallurgy.

I don't doubt what you say, but if the precision of your loads deteriorates with age, it is for some other reason than the cases age hardening. I have a 600 yd bench rest gun I shoot only once a month or less. It's not uncommon for me to load a big batch of competition ammo for the upcoming 6 months. The old stuff shoots just as well as the new stuff, so my experience is different from yours.
    opinions vary

don't know what happens from a metallurgy standpoint but neck tension changes.

I do know my 6mm likes ammo loaded the night before and misbehaves with 3 month old ammo

In 100/200 yard Benchrest you will find most competitors load their ammo throughout the day. In 1000-yard BR you rarely see this. Believe it or not your gun will tell you whether it likes ammo loaded right before it is shot, or several days in advance. I load at least 48 hours before a match. One time I tried loading at the range right before a shoot-off. No dice. I went from an 8″ group to an ugly group with 12″ of vertical. Just by not loading ahead of time, I went from more than respectable to out of the running. I’m really not sure what the problem was, but now I always get my ammo ready well in advance.