Thread: What is a mil?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    FIRST, id suggest everybody reread my responces, and (try) to soak in what I actually said, and not whats being implied.
    Ill try to make it clearer by saying that Yes,yes, yes, if I were to compete in the type matches some here do, id own the best equiptment for doing that.
    If that included a ffp scope with mil adjustments and reticle so be it, that's what id have.
    But I don't shoot in those type matches and have no intention or desire to do so.
    The dialing aspect of a ffp scope or a 2nd fp scope is the same, meaning no differences.
    The only discernable difference then affecting a shooter, is the changing of reticle size as power is increased.
    Which even our in house expert agrees, dosent matter if the power isn't changed, or with using say a fixed 12x scope.
    Some obviously think that's a huge difference, and to them it might be, and some like me tend to yawn when its discussed.
    Now Ill let you in on a dirty little secret. I had a ffp scope on my 30x378 for over 30 years, and only recently removed it in favor of a Nightforce.
    A Bausch&Lomb balvar 6x24 varieable made in the 60s, a ffp scope made before many of you were born.
    But I didn't own it because it was ffp, I owned it because it was a variable, and Unertles weren't.
    And back then there weren't many others suitable for what we did with them.
    If you go back to post #10, I jokingly tried to explain how to move a bullet from point A to point B.
    Back when I went to school for this stuff that's how it was taught because there weren't any mill mill ffp scopes.
    But 2+2 still equals 4 in my book, even though some obviously don't think it does.
    As the old cliché goes its actually about as easy as rolling off a log, and anybody can do it with any scope with a dial.
    MEANING, no need for mil mil ffp or any other freaking fp, FOR MOST APPLICATIONS,
    which includes what I do with scopes and frankly most others.
    I mean this whole thing is actually laughable.

As for Lonewolfs comments on I think post #28 regarding (his spotters being useless) or in any event no help to him in seeing his hit.
    It appeared to me there was a guy laying beside him, no doubt looking thru a rifle scope.
    And another sitting behind a spotting scope, but who appeared to be doing something other than spotting?
    If I'm correct, then he didn't actually have an effective spotter.
    But he did have what Darkker would describe as a (tall cotton) situation. lol
    For the record, what I do by way of hunting, dosent require any special skills or ability, that anyone here dosent have.
    Many of the deer we kill are taken by kids or others inexperienced in long shooting.
    Those of us with the experience are the coaches and also the spotter.
    But what we do does require, (at least where we are doing it,) is to be doing it in a certain way if you want the (best chance) at success.
    In other words its sort of like shooting in certain type matches.
    If Lonewolf or any others were to come here and shoot from the locations we shoot, he would very quickly reach that same conclusion.
    I can (guarantee) he would leave with different opinions than he arrived with.
    I can also guarantee his opinion on spotting would differ.

Rob01, you don't have to come to me, ill gladly meet you someplace convienant to you.
    Someplace where you can show me how you can range various distances with your reticle.
    Say targets like cows or horses in a very large pasture.
    Or maybe a crow in a distant tree, and accurate enough to make hits.
    Ill bring my rangefinder to confirm it.
    Feel free to have someone take pictures of me handing you the $500 so you can post them here.
    Last edited by yobuck; 06-24-2016 at 12:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.