Thread: Savage Stealth in 6.5 - First impressions.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    We need ALLOT more fist impressions. Like, how smooth the action is, etc.. and lots of PICS. Starting to regret jumping on the 10T 6.5 creedmoor.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    We need ALLOT more fist impressions. Like, how smooth the action is, etc.. and lots of PICS. Starting to regret jumping on the 10T 6.5 creedmoor.
    You might take a look at the Savage model 12 LRP in 6.5 They are fantastic rifles from what I have seen. I would like to see the LRP and the new Stealth go head to head...

Quote Originally Posted by Rondogg View Post
    You might take a look at the Savage model 12 LRP in 6.5 They are fantastic rifles from what I have seen. I would like to see the LRP and the new Stealth go head to head...
    Than I guess that the 12 LRP will win (not because I own a 12 LRP in Creedmoor 6.5 ;-)
    2" more barrel on the LRP so a slightly faster rounds
    And the LRP has a thicker barrel

Update on first impressions -

Went to Talladaga, focused on 200 yd. Will try and post pictures tomorrow. Shot 140 on 14 shots - total shot 50 rounds Savage Stealth and about 30 300 Win Mag. Wife shot 50 through her RPR - she did well also with here last 10 shot scoring 100. Need to check pictures to count x's. Wind was 10 mph and shifting. Need work on my wind calling ability.

Had a scope issue on 300 win mag so it used up more time than planned. Son shooting his 300 Win Mag really improved, shooting in the high 90's.

So the update - the rifle is solid, the factory 140 ELD-match did well. The star of the day was the Berger 130 OTM's. Will work up some loads to shoot 100 yards on Monday (have jury duty so hoping not to get called). Have 300 ELD-match to reload, will see how they do. Between the 2 I have little doubt of a solid sub-MOA load.

The stock is a disappointment. Ordered the adapter for fixed length, it hopefully will arrive next week. Will try the PRS Magpul and the Luth-AR. Why disappointing: I have a Bushnell 4.5 - 30 xrs (i believe, scope is downstairs). Using a Larue QD mount. At max rise on cheek rest I was about 1/4" low for good alignment. Cheek rest moves with length, so not only does it not go high enough, it's short length pushes me to the very front of the rest. It may work for others with different scope mounts but for me, a no go.

The other negative - scope rail is not a 20 MOA. All my bolt rifles have 20 moa. Not a big issue but will swap-out as soon as I can find the proper replacement. Savage was not listing rifle last I checked, so information is mainly from a few people on different forums. Rail is an EGW so I will email them.

At 400 below RPR you get a good chassis, barrel and action. Figure you have to invest another 250-300 on rail and stock with adapter. Still a little cheaper than RPR but not much. Also RPR 18008 now has a break, so that makes it almost break even.

My wife shot Savage, did not like recoil. Our range officer in Talladaga was John (super guy, helped with my scope malfunction and showed my lots of new items + plus had his 2 customs out shooting along with us). He shot the Savage and liked it.

Is it a RPR killer - no way. Is it a good rifle - yes, so far. Jury will be out until lots of people are shooting it and we determine how well it does long term and see how Savage stands behind it. We know Ruger is standing behind the RPR.

The RPR had lots of issues in .308 and less so the .243, only time will tell if the Savage line fairs any better or not. The introduction of 300 Win Mag and 338 Lapua will make the Savage a force in the future (if RPR comes out long action as predicted, that will be exciting).

Bottom line - in my family we have both, and like both. Like everything else it comes down to personal preferences - beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Thanks Cameron - I hope this helps someone in their search.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rondogg View Post
    I have the 10T in 6.5 but the stealth may be in the future for me. Depends on reviews.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    I have the 10T in 6.5 but the stealth may be in the future for me. Depends on reviews.
    Enjoy your 10T and get a Stealth later 😉

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk