Thread: MAJOR Savage 11 6.5 Creedmoor Problem: HELP NEEDED

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Say what?? Did you read the entire thread?

I have read the OP's issue. The whole first page discusses what md7989 was asking about. You entered the conversation at post 19.

Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    Say what?? Did you read the entire thread?

Instead of the hand lapping, would the "Tubbs Final Finish" bore polishing bullets work also?
    I read this and was wondering how that equated to the issue of the bullet rubbing on the lands and what would Tubbs do for you. I offered an opinion on hand lapping and an opinion on using Tubbs lapping bullets. Tubbs will not fix the issue being discussed in my opinion. You may have a lot more experience than I have though.

I'm thinking that another option is to start your own post to avoid hijacking the thread.
    Last edited by Robinhood; 05-03-2016 at 09:12 PM.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I have read the OP's issue. The whole first page discusses what md7989 was asking about. You entered the conversation at post 19.

I read this and was wondering how that equated to the issue of the bullet rubbing on the lands and what would Tubbs do for you. I offered an opinion on hand lapping and an opinion on using Tubbs lapping bullets. Tubbs will not fix the issue being discussed in my opinion. You may have a lot more experience than I have though.

I'm thinking that another option is to start your own post to avoid hijacking the thread.
    To be more exact, I don't think my bullets are not touching the lands. I never get and "rifling marks" on the bullets...the throat area before the lands is too tight and it rubs around the ogive area back to right before the case starts on some bullets.

It's at the gunsmith still and I'm actually getting a little annoyed about it. A simple 20 min job that I clearly wrote out on a note what I wanted done, yet he still hasn't done it. The smith is a good friend of a good friend from where I work. So it sucks getting info from the middle man so-to-speak. It's also annoying when I asked my middle man if he had a status on it the other day that the smith told him he hadn't found anything out of the normal on it yet...which tells me 1) he hasn't even looked at it yet or 2) he didn't even read the notes I wrote down or the printout of the thread where the guy detailed how he fixed his issue

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post

First of all, I don't understand how you can equate my question to thread hijacking. md7989 had responded with a quote in post 18, to post 17, from RMGunner who included a link, which I also read, pertaining to an under sized throat problem that he had and md7989 believes he has also. My question in post 19 was referring to how RMGunner in his link resolved his tight throat problem with hand lapping and would the Tubbs work with the same results.

I assumed that someone else besides md7989 and my self read the attched link from RMGunner... I guess I was wrong. Post 24 should help you understand.
    Sorry for the confusion.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    First of all, I don't understand how you can equate my question to thread hijacking. md7989 had responded with a quote in post 18, to post 17, from RMGunner who included a link, which I also read, pertaining to an under sized throat problem that he had and md7989 believes he has also. My question in post 19 was referring to how RMGunner in his link resolved his tight throat problem with hand lapping and would the Tubbs work with the same results.

I assumed that someone else besides md7989 and my self read the attched link from RMGunner... I guess I was wrong. Post 24 should help you understand.
    Sorry for the confusion.
    To get to your point: I would not venture to say that it is impossible and would not work as you are describing, but it'd likely take longer to achieve the same results. I'm also unsure of how forcing a potentially oversized bullet diameter (in relation to the undersized throat) would allow the "lapping compound" on the Tubbs bullets to really work as it seems the really do their work once they're fired. Again, I honestly don't have any background knowledge/use on the Tubbs lapping bullets so maybe someone else can help you with that. Maybe you can start a thread and ask those specifics there to get better responses?

And I'm still waiting to get my gun back

Basic Member
    My intention is to fire the bullets and let them do the lapping. The kit comes with fifty bullets, five different grits, ten each and range from #1 being the coarsest to #5 being the finest. I'm thinking of using a couple in the #4 and 5 range.

You say you are still waiting on your gun? That's the why I'm going this route.