Thread: Savage Stealth Review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    I currently run a Sig Sauer SSG 3000 308 and that rifle is very accurate. I have been out to 570yds on a 2ft x 2ft steel and hit 4 out of 5 times. The RPR was supposed to be an out of the box .5 MOA rifle. I feel I broke the rifle in correctly, however after the initial break in and then actual range time began, the rifle never performed at 200yds and I never got a group that I was proud of. I am new to this forum but will post some range pics of both my Sig and the RPR. Thanks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rondogg View Post
    I currently run a Sig Sauer SSG 3000 308 and that rifle is very accurate. I have been out to 570yds on a 2ft x 2ft steel and hit 4 out of 5 times. The RPR was supposed to be an out of the box .5 MOA rifle. I feel I broke the rifle in correctly, however after the initial break in and then actual range time began, the rifle never performed at 200yds and I never got a group that I was proud of. I am new to this forum but will post some range pics of both my Sig and the RPR. Thanks
    No offense but that is a 4 MOA target, pretty big and easy to hit, .5 MOA would be much much smaller. The design of the ruger action seems to be pretty popular and there's already a bunch of aftermarket parts being made for it. Haven't gotten behind one yet but they seem to have produced a decent rifle for the price.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newsshooter View Post
    No offense but that is a 4 MOA target, pretty big and easy to hit, .5 MOA would be much much smaller. The design of the ruger action seems to be pretty popular and there's already a bunch of aftermarket parts being made for it. Haven't gotten behind one yet but they seem to have produced a decent rifle for the price.
    I was thinking same thing. With SMK GMM my SSG3k shoots 1/2 MOA easily...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Russmerle View Post
    I was thinking same thing. With SMK GMM my SSG3k shoots 1/2 MOA easily...
    Your SSG is shooting .5 MOA at 570 yds.???

Warrick
    If your rifle is shooting .5 moa at 100 yards its a .5 moa rifle, your group size will more or less increase by that angle at any given distance. So your group size will basically grow by .5 per 100 yards. So he is saying he is holding groups just under 3 inches a 570 yards.

Basic Member
    .5 MOA is .5 MOA really... I've only shot my SSG out to 300 yards but at 100, 200, and 300 yds I can hold .5 MOA when I do my part. If the rifle groups 1/2" at 100yds it should group 2.5" at 500yds. That said, with greater distance comes greater influence of the environment and the shooters ability to compensate for wind and other factors I'm not experienced with. I can shoot 1.5" at 300 yds but I won't claim I can shoot 2.5" groups at 500 yds. I'd love to try but I don't have access to that kind of yardage right now.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newsshooter View Post
    No offense taken. As I mentioned the RPR was supposed to be a .5 MOA rifle. At 200yds, the RPR in 308 that I had would not group anywhere near that.

Basic Member
    No offense taken. As I mentioned the RPR was supposed to be a .5 MOA rifle. At 200yds, the RPR in 308 that I had would not group anywhere near that.
    What was it grouping at 200 yards. What ammo were you using? Did you try different ammo, did you work up a load for it, did you have anyone you know that shoots tight groups shoot it as well? Not saying you can't but I've seen those things with different shooters and different rifles. A buddy has an AI 300 win mag with a S&B on it. He couldn't get it to shoot better than 3 MOA. I got behind it and had five rounds touching at 100 yards.