Thread: 1907 basket case thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drac0nic View Post
    Yours is definitely better in terms of finish than mine. I'm going to try my hand at bluing it I Think! The formula I'm going to use is 5lb sodium hydroxide to 2 parts potassium nitrate to a gallon of water. I have a paint can I'm going to mix it up in and put it on a burner. Should be a real interesting experiment! I'll probably do the slide first as the frame needs more tweaking to get the grips right.

Second one is here, I used it to file the front sight down on the first one so that I could get a better idea of how high it should be. I think it's closer to the condition of yours, it actually seems to have some finish left. I may refinish anyways, it's not enough to ruin the value of it I Think.

The ejector is significantly shorter than the other gun, it seems to have had some material welded on. I think a crude repair. I had to tweak the mag from my other one (didn't come with a mag) so that it would work, but it seems fine in both guns after some effort. Some aspects of the mechanism are the same, but others (the safety/ejector block, the frame, the barrel) are not. It's definitely a series of first year production run changes.
    My Safety ( Serial Number 3 thousand and low change ), the 'Button' aspect is fully round.

Your two, the left top one, looks like a little 'Ear' or something, and, the second ot bottom one, looks like it is Round but with a little flat on the side where it meets the Stocks when in "FIRE" position.

If I am correct, then, there were at least three different shape Safety 'Buttons' early on.

Drac0nic
    Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    My Safety ( Serial Number 3 thousand and low change ), the 'Button' aspect is fully round.

Your two, the left top one, looks like a little 'Ear' or something, and, the second ot bottom one, looks like it is Round but with a little flat on the side where it meets the Stocks when in "FIRE" position.

If I am correct, then, there were at least three different shape Safety 'Buttons' early on.

I'm trying to figure out if the safety was changed or not, based on what I'm reading I think that the early gun had the small safety.

Range report today, I took both shooting. Not a lot of rounds through them, but I did find out that the mag lip tweaking I did feeds well in both guns. (I need to pick another mag or two up.) The big issue I'm having right now is one has a broken extractor that needs more material added so it's not ejecting right, the other one is not extracting properly. I have changed the spring out, is there another form of tuning I need to do to the extractor?

Ammo was a combination of some very old Federal FMJ I had laying around and some Fiocchi 60GR JHPs (I think they're supposed to be a drop in for the Silvertips on a Seecamp.) Both rounds fed well.

Basic Member
    I could post some close ups of the Ejector in mine, if that would help?