Thread: Stainless 16 Lightweight Hunter 7.62x39 build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    I don't see the interest in this caliber in a bolt gun, why? Seems like a 300BO or 6.8SPC would be a better choice, more velocity, though it doesn't make sense to me in a bolt rifle either. I'd think the 6.5 grendel would be a good choice, good bullets with high BC and decent velocity.
    Last edited by Newsshooter; 02-08-2016 at 04:35 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newsshooter View Post
    I don't see the interest in this caliber in a bolt gun, why? Seems like a 300BO or 6.8SPC would be a better choice, more velocity, though it doesn't make sense to me in a bolt rifle either. I'd think the 6.5 grendel would be a good choice, good bullets with high BC and decent velocity.
    One of the reasons to chamber a traditional semi-auto carbine cartridge to bolt action (or single shot) is because of the performance advantages of the platform. Semi-autos work in a very narrow power range and pressure curve. If the load is too light it will not cycle, too heavy and it can break action parts or cause abnormal wear and threaten reliability. If the pressure curve is different because of a different powder burn rate, etc. it can cause a failure to eject or jam the action. Also traditionally, semi-autos have more variables to control to make it accurate. Having a bolt action eliminates or reduces many of those problems. You can handload for the performance you want. It makes the cartridge of choice more versatile. Subsonic, supersonic, light loads, light bullets, heavy bullets heavy loads, whatever combination you want.

The 7.62x39 is a slave to the platform it was designed for. The AK and SKS have relatively low pressure rating due to the design of the bolt lockup. Therefore, the spec pressure for the round is low because there are so many AK and SKS out there.

Put the 7.62x39 in a bolt action gives it a new lease on life!

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/762x39.htm

http://members.shaw.ca/cronhelm/762ProjectRifle.html

BW