Quote Originally Posted by lrshooting View Post
So the speed I found for a 6.5 at 140 grains in a wsm is 3100 with a ballistic coefficient of somewhere around .585, where as a 7mm at 168 grain will shoot I think around 3200 (need to look at load data) with a bc if .625 with the exact same bullet.

Ballistically, the 7mm is superior in every way with that much powder I think. Although I haven't seen a comparison of accuracy at extended ranges and that's what matters.

I guess what I use to compare it to people is blowing through a coffee straw vs a drinking straw. To an extent you might be able to get something to go faster but eventually the pressure just gets to high in the small straw and the big straw will end up faster.
Don't count out any of the 6.5s because you don't think they can't reach past 600 yards and be very dependable relaible killers on deer or even elk. I used my 6.5-284 a couple years ago pushing a mild load 140 Amax at 2840 fps to take a deer at over 1200 yards. He died just as quickly as if I would have shot him with the biggest of 30 cal magnums. The .260 Remington or even the creedmoor can reach velocities of 2800fps plus and be much easier on barrels and the shoulder and allow for much more practice time. The .260 Ackley improved is an even better option being able to push the 140 class bullets up around the 2950 mark with only slightly more powder if any over the standard .260.

Assuming from the numbers you posted you are referring to both the Hornady 140 grain Amax in 6.5 and the 162gr Amax in 7mm. Keep in mind that those are advertised BC numbers and the actual Litz measured BC values are .584 and .599 respectfully. Though the 7mm is still superior it's not nearly as superior when actual numbers are used. The energy numbers are a no brainer the heavier bullet will deliver more energy down range but the trjectories are within 2 minutes and wind drift is within half a minute. I don't find the 7mm superior enough to step up to increased recoil and powder usage to push the heavier 7mm's bullets. This is just my thinking, to each their own.

A good mid size 6.5 is very hard to beat for deer sized game and 1000 yard target work in my book.