Thread: Throat life rumors true about wsm?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Depends on how it will be used. 800 rounds is a lifetime for a gun used for hunting.
    You really dont need to be practicing with the gun you use for hunting. Thats why they make 308s.
    And consider going bigger if you plan on hunting with it. A 300 win mag or better yet 300 wby case would be
    the better deal for a hunting gun.

lrshooting
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Depends on how it will be used. 800 rounds is a lifetime for a gun used for hunting.
    You really dont need to be practicing with the gun you use for hunting. Thats why they make 308s.
    And consider going bigger if you plan on hunting with it. A 300 win mag or better yet 300 wby case would be
    the better deal for a hunting gun.
    This is for a short action. Id go with a different round otherwise. Im limited by design. I should have got a long action in 308, but I didnt know much at the time about all that. Now I have a pretty expensive custom gun that ive built in 308 that I would like to simply be able to swap out the barrel and bolt face and mag and call it good.

And why do you need a bigger bullet for hunting? Ive killed deer for years and years with a 223. Thats about as small as ethically allowable. Even that can be questionable if you dont know your stuff and take very well placed shots. Thats why a got a 308 because of availability and more knockdown. I know people hunt elk with 308 too so its kind of like shooting a deer with a bow in bow season and thinking you need a 300 mag for deer later in gun season...i dont think they got any tougher or bigger in that time. Hehe