Thread: Seating Depth Matters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Oh yes I am not finished with this powder/bullet combination. This was the 2nd round after finding the node at 20.5gr IMR3031. I also have a node at 21.5gr. After trying 21.5gr at 1.910" ogive the next step will be to load up 20 rounds of 20.5gr at 1.910" ogive to verify initial findings.

Of note I was very particular when seating the 20.5gr rounds. Each was seated with Wilson seating die and arbor press. And were measured and seated until they hit the correct dimension.I have found that the Sierras' ogive can be +/- .003" within a lot.

In the past I use to run 2-5 round groups for a total of 10 rounds for each powder weight. I have recently gone to one 5 round group with acceptable success.

Following is the 1st target for this powder bullet combo.

http://s993.photobucket.com/user/rbp...xzhs.jpg.html]

Quote Originally Posted by rbp75503 View Post
    Oh yes I am not finished with this powder/bullet combination. This was the 2nd round after finding the node at 20.5gr IMR3031. I also have a node at 21.5gr. After trying 21.5gr at 1.910" ogive the next step will be to load up 20 rounds of 20.5gr at 1.910" ogive to verify initial findings.

Of note I was very particular when seating the 20.5gr rounds. Each was seated with Wilson seating die and arbor press. And were measured and seated until they hit the correct dimension.I have found that the Sierras' ogive can be +/- .003" within a lot.

In the past I use to run 2-5 round groups for a total of 10 rounds for each powder weight. I have recently gone to one 5 round group with acceptable success.

Following is the 1st target for this powder bullet combo.

http://s993.photobucket.com/user/rbp...xzhs.jpg.html]
    IMHO...Id load up 10 at 1.910 @ 20.5gr and ck the results. Im almost positive youll like the results. (providing everything is the same ie:temp.humidity, etc)
    I think youve already hit paydirt.
    You sometimes find yourself doing more load testing than actual compeditive shooting. Sure it pays off in the end but THeres always "another node" with another "threshold" somewhere.
    The art of shooting and reloading for the same results "almost everytime" is a terrible addiction. Sure wish i could find a doctor to cure my desease. Havent found one yet......so I guess we just keep doing what were doing lololololo
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

BowNut
    Once you hit your initial powder node and after you find your depth, go back and load up rounds in .1 increments a half grain above and below your powder node. This will tell you how wide your node is. After I did this I found out my node was .5 grain wide(maintaining .4 moa) which allows me to throw charges straight from powder dispenser without worrying about .1 or .2g variation.
    Learned this from Erik Cortina thread on ACCURATE SHOOTER forum. 108 pages long.....but lots of information.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BowNut View Post
    Once you hit your initial powder node and after you find your depth, go back and load up rounds in .1 increments a half grain above and below your powder node. This will tell you how wide your node is. After I did this I found out my node was .5 grain wide(maintaining .4 moa) which allows me to throw charges straight from powder dispenser without worrying about .1 or .2g variation.
    Learned this from Erik Cortina thread on ACCURATE SHOOTER forum. 108 pages long.....but lots of information.
    That's basically an OCW load.
    http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/