Thread: Annealing vs Neck Tension question.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    The real problem with ultrasonic or stainless pins is the brass is clean and the cleaning removes a little of the zinc out of the brass on the surface which causes the bullet to have perfect contact with the brass and hence hard seating. I run a brass brush and turn it in the neck to roughen the surface slightly like honing a cylinder in an engine and then the bullet seems to seat with normal pressure. I have tried all the lubes on the neck and then seat but it didn't help that much.
    once again ive never had this issue....all of my bullets seat smooth...the limishine is what draws the zinc out of the brass...if your getting gray spots on the tumbled or US cleaned brass then your using to much limishine. i was doing the same thing with the brass or bronze brush and starting getting higher than normal ESs and figured out that the brushes were scratching or honing as you put it the insides of my necks and while they seated smooth the release was a whole different story. also my experiences with neck lubes were the same as yours.

something else for you guys having seating issues...are you sure its not doughnuts??? take a fired case and drop a bullet in the neck...it should drop right through or slide in with VERY MINIMAL effort(your fingers)if the bullet stops its doughnuts at the shoulder/neck junction.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post

something else for you guys having seating issues...are you sure its not doughnuts??? take a fired case and drop a bullet in the neck...it should drop right through or slide in with VERY MINIMAL effort(your fingers)if the bullet stops its doughnuts at the shoulder/neck junction.
    Now see i was always told that when a bullet dropped right into a fired case it was due to a large chamber.
    On guns with tight neck chambers you will have difficulty doing that. Where the bullet goes in with slight resistance
    is what (we) call a no turn neck. I frankly dont understand lots of things i hear nowdays.
    I recently got an RCBS case prep machine because i hate case prep. That stainless wire
    brush wont make the necks look new unless you grind away for an hour. Ive never used the stainless media and frankly dont
    plan on buying another machine so i can. I have had serious welding issues with ammo that had laid around a couple years.
    I mentioned that awhile back. I also dont see how its possible to measure neck tension on a loaded round. Especially if the thing
    is gonna weld itself to the case over a period of time. Ive shot lots of old ammo over the years, especially old military stuff.
    Ive even pulled lots of 308s and 06s and just reseated hunting bullets using the old components. Why didnt those bullets weld to the case?