Thread: Scope moving in rings...HELP.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    No doubt vortex will stand behind it but if it can't track reliably do to "over torquing" Beyond vortex's own recommendations then it fails to serve it's purpose even if they replace it.
    I have had no trouble with mine on a 7mm or 308 but did not install it on the bigger gun's because of those limited recommendations.
    I have seen many reports of 25" binding internals on the vortex line, no personal experience tho.
    That is the problem, binding the internals which dosent allow the adjustments to work.
    When i first installed the scope on my sons gun i didnt own or never needed a torque driver.
    But when i tightened it down as id been doing with other scopes for about 50 years, the knobs didnt work.
    A call from a factory rep said get an inch pound torque driver and set the screws @ 15 in #.
    That didnt hold the scope and neither did 20# even after lapping the rings. And no Bill its not bottomed out.
    There is space between top and bottom halves of the rings.
    Im somewhat surprised the op isnt having similar problems on the 50.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    That is the problem, binding the internals which dosent allow the adjustments to work.
    When i first installed the scope on my sons gun i didnt own or never needed a torque driver.
    But when i tightened it down as id been doing with other scopes for about 50 years, the knobs didnt work.
    A call from a factory rep said get an inch pound torque driver and set the screws @ 15 in #.
    That didnt hold the scope and neither did 20# even after lapping the rings. And no Bill its not bottomed out.
    There is space between top and bottom halves of the rings.
    Im somewhat surprised the op isnt having similar problems on the 50.
    I have an older (5 yrs) Vortex Viper 6-24x50 on the .50 upper by BOHICA arms. Worked flawlessly. Since then, I have bought 2 Vortex Crossfires, a Diamondback, another Viper and now a Viper HS-T. They have always been great scopes for me. I think it was the Millett rings that I had...I threw them in the trash and ordered a set of Burris Signature Zee rings today. I guess I'll find out if they work or not. I will be using an in.lb. torque wrench as I do on all my other scopes. If the Burris rings don't work, then I think I will sell that scope and buy a MK 4. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
    One Shot - One Kill. Semper Fi.