Thread: Bipod and benchrest shooting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pastor Dave

Bipod and benchrest shooting

If I put a bipod on my Savage Model 12 in the Talo Tiger Shark laminated stock, can I still use my front rest (Caldwell The Rock)? Has anyone ever used an adjustable rest on the back of the gun and bipod in front? Thanks, let me know.

2. 02-05-2015, 01:39 PM
    Reason
    Overcome by events

hombre243
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Dave View Post
    If I put a bipod on my Savage Model 12 in the Talo Tiger Shark laminated stock, can I still use my front rest (Caldwell The Rock)? Has anyone ever used an adjustable rest on the back of the gun and bipod in front? Thanks, let me know.
    I have used my bipod on the bench but abandoned that idea because I was getting a lot of bounce and the recoil torqued the rifle (Savage 11 V/T in .308) completely off target. I have not used it on the ground. I had the "Rock, Jr", a smaller version of the Rock and sold it to a friend who needed a rest...I had just purchased a Gorilla bag. Piece of crap after the zipper broke. But if you can use the Caldwell on the bench, that would be my choice.

I am considering getting a new Caldwell. So far I have been more satisfied with that rest than any other.

hombre243
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Dave View Post
    Dave, the Caldwell is probably too narrow to allow easy use if the bipod is on the forend of the rifle. The recoil could damage the soft cushion on the rest too. Using the Caldwell on the butt end would probably not be comfortable because (as mentioned by another member) the feet of the rest...as well as its overall bulk would make it uncomfortable to get wrapped into your rifle.

Best advice: If you use the Caldwell on the front, you should remove the bipod. If you try to use the Caldwell on the butt end, let us know how it works.

Basic Member
    A rabbit ear bag is adjustable, but it's (manually) adjustable. Develop a shooting style from the bench that allows for using it
    and you will find it's all you need. I personaly would remove the bipod before using the front rest as has been suggested.