When I said bogus stories, I meant the typical one box (or less) a year hunter. I have worked with a bunch of these bozos over the years and to hear them tell it, they consider it a sin to take a shot at less than 600 yards unless the antelope is running. Then a shot at 300-400 yards is acceptable. When you ask them where they have their zero, almost every one has a variation of the 1.5 inches high at 100 yards. When you ask them about their comeups, you mostly get a blank stare and when pressed for their holdover, they then mumble something about right on the top of the back. I have known some hunters ( very few) who really did have the skill and equipment to make a really long shot at will. They also knew when to pass.

Perhaps because I live here and can legally hunt something everyday of the year, I tend to try to stalk to less than 200 yards. It could also be that I used to handgun hunt exclusively for everything. Anyway, if you have put in the time to learn everything that is necessary to make those long shots, have at it. I have had the unfortunate pleasure to have to put down way too many three-legged antelope to suggest it as a common practice.