Thread: My New 50 Cal Wildcat

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    farmerben
    Question for you guys. Tried loading up a few rounds tonight and having problems with the factory crimp die on the Lee .50 beowulf die set. Trying to set the crimp and the bullet still turns in the case after the crimp. Pushed a bit harder and the case gets rippled. Whats the method or cure for this?

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerben View Post
    Question for you guys. Tried loading up a few rounds tonight and having problems with the factory crimp die on the Lee .50 beowulf die set. Trying to set the crimp and the bullet still turns in the case after the crimp. Pushed a bit harder and the case gets rippled. Whats the method or cure for this?
    What brand dies are you using? My Lee 500 S&W would do this as well. Got pissed off, crunched some cases and tried the 50AE and it worked like a champ even though the round is slighty tapered (50AE), but I guess it doesnt matter too much as it basically is only seating and crimping.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerben View Post
    The issue here is neck tension. What you are neck sizing with isn't bringing the neck diameter down enough to hold the bullet in place. The 500 S&W and the 50AE both have very thick necks and the sizing die is honed to make the bullet tension right for that brass. I had to go to my 50 Beowolf die to get enough tension to grip the bullets. I'm using the beo dies for both neck sizing and crimping. Dean's cotton balls work OK for holding the bullet out there, but you still don't have enough neck tension and that effects the internal ballistics of the powder burn. I am getting much more consistent ignition with the necks sized down with the 50 Beowolf sizing die. Hope this helps you understand what's going on. Jim
    Edit, I'm also using bullets bumped up to .502 with a home made swage die.
    NRA Endowment Member