Thread: The .338 Edge is up and running

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Oh wow, that looks like you could put your hand in either of those holes. I have a 338 rum and am currently working on a load for a 300 grain berger elite hunting bullet using us869 (cant find any retumbo). I am considering trying it out on a white tail this season if I have an opportunity. May I ask how bad that audad was under the skin? I will try something else if it was to much destruction.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdave1977 View Post
    Oh wow, that looks like you could put your hand in either of those holes. I have a 338 rum and am currently working on a load for a 300 grain berger elite hunting bullet using us869 (cant find any retumbo). I am considering trying it out on a white tail this season if I have an opportunity. May I ask how bad that audad was under the skin? I will try something else if it was to much destruction.

Dave
    Thats what i compared the size of the holes to as well. LOL
    That was a pretty light load. Somewhere around 300fps slower than what I will most likely start using. It was a high shoulder shot and ruined both the shoulders and about 1/3 of the backstraps so it was pretty ugly to say the least. The hole under the hide, you could easily put a Coke can in sideways with some room to spare. I would maybe try a broad side shot straight though the ribs on a white tail, but not in the shoulder after seeing the effect on this critter.

That is because he is launching 300gr bullets, opposed to my 160s and 185s,

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

With plans for shooting a mile plus I figured that's the most comparable for what UpslideDown might be loading.
    I however am going to give the Standard primers a try with those 165gr Barnes. I am getting close to max load with the Mag primers so I will see if the standard primer give me a little more wiggle room.