Quote Originally Posted by tufrthnails View Post
JA sticker shock alone got me on the TC. I got around $700 in my 111 .270 win I hunt with. He will be getting something in the Axis price range. Long Range I have no prob buying dies and I did think about the .243 being able to grow with him a little, but I really don't want to bump the recoil up to quick on him and shy him away from shooting. He hated the .410 the first year (he was 5) i let him try it. I need to go find that recoil chart I saw and see where a .410 is in the overall kick factor.
I completely understand the sticker shock issue but the very small size and weight would make him most comfortable.

An excellent alternative is a used Savage chambered for the 7.62x39. Once in hand, he can immediately start hunting with it. Should you decide to go with the Grendel, a simple barrel swap gets you there and he will still have the 7.62x39 for any of the SHTF scenarios.

Reloading is your friend in this quest. Doing so will allow you to get him effective hunting ammunition that yields recoil between that of the .223 and the .243 in cartridges that will handle most North American game. I this event, any 6.5 or .264 cartridge will work and this caliber has harvested thousands of tons of moose in Europe. The 6mm cartridges won't do that. The quarter bores come close, and the .270 isn't bad but no short cartridge is available for small rifles. Yes, the 6.8 is there, but it doesn't handle the bigger bullets that .260 rem, a 6.5 Creedmoor, a 6.5x55 or even the small Grendel can.