Thread: Noob got his Savage 12 F/TR!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I think all the hype about the crown being damaged can be avoided if you just take the care when you bring the jag back to the crown guide it with your other hand to make sure it doesn't snag the sharp edge of the crown. Most guys are using a brass type jags that could hurt the crown if it was pulled in quick and it catched the same spot on the crown over and over. I use plastic jags and only push them out enough for the patch to come out then guide the jag back in by hand.

If a guy has good common sense, he will not damage a barrel with the a regular cleaning kit and no bore guide.

I'd use the Sweets just to see if there is any copper,, if not switch to something more mild like good old nitro solvent.

Dan

SteelerNation
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
    I think all the hype about the crown being damaged can be avoided if you just take the care when you bring the jag back to the crown guide it with your other hand to make sure it doesn't snag the sharp edge of the crown. Most guys are using a brass type jags that could hurt the crown if it was pulled in quick and it catched the same spot on the crown over and over. I use plastic jags and only push them out enough for the patch to come out then guide the jag back in by hand.

If a guy has good common sense, he will not damage a barrel with the a regular cleaning kit and no bore guide.

I'd use the Sweets just to see if there is any copper,, if not switch to something more mild like good old nitro solvent.

Dan
    Thanks Dan. That's a great idea about the plastic jag! I hadn't even thought of that, but I'll look into picking a couple up!