I don't know that I agree with your assessment....over the past 5 years I have actually been testing your basic premise here in MI. I have been hunting with 2 rifles....a 270WSM using 140g Nosler AccuBonds loaded @ 2950fps and a 270WIN using 150g Nosler Ballistic Tips loaded @ 2900fps....between the two rifles each has taken between 3-5 deer each season for the past 5 years at ranges between 35 and 400 yards....does and bucks (including several 110 - 120 class bucks)...I've been very happy with both rounds/bullets and they have performed nearly identical...75% of the deer hit with either bullet drop dead right in their tracks instantly....of the other 25%, nothing has run more than 100 yards after being hit. Shot placement is key with any bullet, even a crappy bullet like a Core-Lokt will kill deer quickly if the shot is placed appropriately. Accuracy is my primary goal, because that leads to meat in the freezer....when doing load development for my 270WSM (a Tikka T3 Stainless Lite) the 140g AccuBonds were by far the most accurate of 5 or 6 bullets I tried....I'll spend a little more for accuracy and ensuring my freezer is full.

That being said, one by no means needs a bonded bullet for medium/light game...one need only an accurate premium bullet. Find one that works for your rifle and shoot it. Also, I buy all my my Nosler lead off of their Shooters Pro Shop website (over runs or blems) and the prices there are super cheap, so I am not paying top dollar either.

PS...I hate the all copper bullets....have tried a few when I lived in Kalifornia and couldn't find a 1 that would shoot worth a crap out of my of my rifles after several loads attempted.