Thread: Rifle pillar bedding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Luke45
    I have an old 721 remington that is a wood stock, not floated or bedded in any manner, same as it came from the facory in 1952 and the POI hasnt changed since i sighted it in 9 years ago 1/2moa withhandloads, maybe i got lucky !

That being said, If your stock is not pillar bedded but your action screws are tightening against metatl (metal tigger guard, ect) is pillaring still nessescary if your action is glass bedded? seems like the induced stresses from tightening would be spread out over a large area of the stock and would be lessened a great deal and you wouldnt crush much

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke45 View Post
    I have an old 721 remington that is a wood stock, not floated or bedded in any manner, same as it came from the facory in 1952 and the POI hasnt changed since i sighted it in 9 years ago 1/2moa withhandloads, maybe i got lucky !

That being said, If your stock is not pillar bedded but your action screws are tightening against metatl (metal tigger guard, ect) is pillaring still nessescary if your action is glass bedded? seems like the induced stresses from tightening would be spread out over a large area of the stock and would be lessened a great deal and you wouldnt crush much
    My guess is you are not shooting in extreme temps and humidity changes. Wood will expand and contract depending on the environment. If the wood pushes the action or barrel one way or another, it will (theoretically) push or stress and affect the bullet somewhat. If, however, you are getting 1/2 moa groups under every conceivable circumstances, don't mess with it! :)

As for pillars, if your trigger guard and other bottom metal is acting as a big washer and not allowing the wood to compress, then that's good. Don't worry about it.

Having said all that, I bet if you did decide to pillar and bed it, you will get even better accuracy if you, the barrel and your cartridges are up to it. But really, again, who cares? :)