Thread: CBTO variance issue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 82boy View Post
    It is a seating problem, mostly caused by the die. Sometime trimming the meplats on the bullets will straighten out this problem, as sometimes them ragged ends get caught up in the seating stem, and cause irregularities. Another indicator of seating depth change is running them on a bullet run out gauge. If the needle starts out at a different place the bullets is seated in a different spot.
    I get your point, well received. However, The Forster die uses a seater plug which seats off the ogive, not the meplat (tip of bullet). One reason why I went with the Forster die.

I don't have a run out gauge, but I believe it would show as you describe, which would only serve to confirm that my lengths vary. I completely agree that it's a seating issue, as the bullets were exactly the same. I don't see how brass could cause the issue. I'm just trying to discover if there's something else that could cause this before I blame the die. Process of elimination.

Waiting to hear from Forster and welcoming further ideas.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

82boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Solo View Post
    I get your point, well received. However, The Forster die uses a seater plug which seats off the ogive, not the meplat (tip of bullet). One reason why I went with the Forster die.
    Well it sounds good, but trust me look a bit closer. My self and A friend both use Forster competition micrometer dies. I never had a problem as I trimmed my meplats, but my friend did, once he stated trimming meplats the problem went away. Yes it is suppose to grab the bullet by the ogive, but it done, and the tip will interfere with the seater plug, as he found out, and then he reworked his seater plug and problem went away.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 82boy View Post
    Well it sounds good, but trust me look a bit closer. My self and A friend both use Forster competition micrometer dies. I never had a problem as I trimmed my meplats, but my friend did, once he stated trimming meplats the problem went away. Yes it is suppose to grab the bullet by the ogive, but it done, and the tip will interfere with the seater plug, as he found out, and then he reworked his seater plug and problem went away.
    Good info, thanks. I'm waiting to hear from Forster, and I'm going to try loading some Nosler's and Hornady's. If the problem continues, I guess I'll try fixing the seater plug, as I'm too lazy to trim all the meplats :)

Not a compressed load....42.5 Varget
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]