Very hard to hunt public land as just when you think you've found a good spot 50 other guys find and setup in the same spot.

As for setting up and leaving a stand/blind, be forewarned that a great deal of them that are setup permanently on public ground (and even on private property) end up getting stolen in short order. Very heavy chain and a quality padlock are highly recommended if you choose to do this.

I still think a climbing treestand is the best solution for hunting public lands. You take it with you as you come and go so there's no worrying about it being stolen. You can easily move to a new location as needed depending on conditions, pressure and/or movement patterns. Last but not least, most all of them are specifically designed to be as light as possible so you aren't killing yourself trying to carry it into/out of the woods like you are with a ladder stand or a separate stand and ladder sections.

Haven't ever hunted in that region before so I can't offer up much in terms of tips. The one I do have though is pretty universal: Don't get so caught up and concerned over bagging game that you aren't enjoying yourself. Take the time to enjoy just being out in nature - some of my most memorable days hunting I never launched an arrow or pulled the trigger.

My personal favorite was when I was still hunting with my bow one time and I had a fawn come in close enough to tap it on the nose before momma (who was maybe 15-20 feet away) gave an irritated bleet to call the fawn back to her side. My second favorite would probably be watching two young red foxes running around and playing for 20-30 minutes while sitting in my treestand one morning during muzzleloader season.