Thread: Cutting Savage 111 Stock

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ycastane
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9VTMzCiZtE

This youtube discusses the black ring around the image that you are getting.
    Also notice how far his scope is forward in the rings.
    Yes this is where i have the most issue because unless i bring it to far back i can see the black shadow. So now i'll concentrate on proper form.

Quick question, funny one but here it goes. Do you think muscle mass has anything to do with this issue, im not saying 100% but i have big shoulders and chest, therefor i think the rifle is pushed away more than the average Joe, thank the gym for this one. Just curious, the way i see it is like having a thicker recoil pad LOL.

Mach2
    Quote Originally Posted by ycastane View Post
    Yes this is where i have the most issue because unless i bring it to far back i can see the black shadow. So now i'll concentrate on proper form.

Quick question, funny one but here it goes. Do you think muscle mass has anything to do with this issue, im not saying 100% but i have big shoulders and chest, therefor i think the rifle is pushed away more than the average Joe, thank the gym for this one. Just curious, the way i see it is like having a thicker recoil pad LOL.
    Nah, but perhaps you got used to some improper techniques from your AR days. Different body styles should have no effect upon stance.

Hi Ycastane- Very busy today but looks like you are getting good advice. For off-hand, standing rifle shooting (non-competition) stance, I like to tell folks, especially those who are athletic / sports oriented, to take a "fighter's stance", in other words, you body somewhat "bladed" to the target. For a right-handed person; left foot forward and generally pointing at the target. Right foot back, pointing right- so that your feet are now forming an "L", thereabouts. Bring your hands / arms up as if you were engaging in a fight; your left hand / arm is forward, in "front", about chin high- right hand / arm is back. You are looking over your left fist. Your right shoulder is now slightly "rearward".

Now imagine yourself holding the rifle; left hand is gripping the forearm / forestock. The butt of the rifle is firmly in the pocket between the top part of your right chest muscle and the "ball" of your shoulder, Right hand gripping the pistol grip of the stock. Your right cheek is firmly planted on the comb of the stock, VERY near and above your right hand. That comb is a "Weld" for your cheek bone. This puts you in position where your eye will be 3+ inches from the ocular bell of the scope. OH- knees are slightly bent and you are leaning slightly forward- an "On Balance" position. Steady position for stability and to absorb recoil.

I don't know if my description came out right- if I have time tonight I'll have the wife take some pics that may help.

Hang in- you're gonna get it!

Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!